3 accross in ford Explorer

dd9736

is it possible with the seats we have? I have the boys both ffing now, Jacob in the EFTA, and Seth in the Nautilus, I'm expecting in Aug and we're looking at new to us vehicles, as my van is on it's later legs. For the baby I have an eddiebauer designer 22 bucket, and later, (unless I can talk DH into letting me buy another nautilus for DS2, when baby outgrows the bucket) a radian.

I would put the baby in the radian, vs EFTA (with DS2 in Radian), because I can buy the radian infant padding etc local, and the EFTA didn't actually support DS2 all that well when he slept rfing, even with the extra padding they give you for RFing, while DS1 was able to sleep without his head flopping in the radian RFing

ADS

emntheboys

What year of Explorer are you looking at? I'm going to assume '01 and older since the '02s and up have 3 rows. If you do decide on an Explorer, you may need to look at a different seat to replace the Nauti since it is so wide.

We have a '99 and I am hoping and praying that we'll be able to do a Vivo, infant seat, and Radian back there should the need arise. There just isn't much room in that center seating position.

One word of caution- Stay FAR FAR away from the 2002-2003 model years. They have massive transmission problems (there is no place to check the fluid) and as a result have the most complaint reports of almost any vehicle. Just do a google search and you'll see what I mean!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

ElfJewel

What year of Explorer are you looking at? I'm going to assume '01 and older since the '02s and up have 3 rows. If you do decide on an Explorer, you may need to look at a different seat to replace the Nauti since it is so wide.

We have a '99 and I am hoping and praying that we'll be able to do a Vivo, infant seat, and Radian back there should the need arise. There just isn't much room in that center seating position.

One word of caution- Stay FAR FAR away from the 2002-2003 model years. They have massive transmission problems (there is no place to check the fluid) and as a result have the most complaint reports of almost any vehicle. Just do a google search and you'll see what I mean!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

We had an 04 Explorer and it also had major transmission problems. We had to have it totally rebuilt. We never had a problem fitting 3 carseats though. We had many different combinations of snugride, sceneras, cosco highback booster (w/ harness) and turboboosters. The cosco boosters are really wide, and we could fit 2 of them with any of the other seats in the middle. I don't think the Nautilus is that much bigger, so you might be able to fit 2, especially if you could puzzle a RF seat in the middle. Not sure about tethers though, since we didn't use them in that car. We have become much more car seat educated since then!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Year would help?

We had a 98 explorer. We had turbo, snugride22, turbo. And turbo, rf ra, turbo. It was hard to buckle the turbos. We had to tip them out with kids in them to buckle. It was going to be a main family car, but then found out we were having #4, so I got another minivan.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I helped a gal a few weeks ago in her Explorer. When she came to me, she had a Nautilus, and 2 RF True Fits in there. When she left, she opted for the 2 RF TF and one FF TF. I think you should be able to fit all 3 of your seats (in any combination) in there. The TF seats are huge and wide like the EFTA. Just don't plan on using the 3rd row of an Explorer for car seats (I guess they changed the belts at some point). The one we were doing was totally incompatible with car seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC