Question 2016 Acura MDX Car Seat Selection & Location Reccomendation

NYAVGUY

Hi, I am picking up my new 2016 MDX this Saturday and need to purchase two new car seats (my previous car was totaled while parked by a hit and run driver).

I have a 3 year old and 8-month old so plan to get a harnessed booster and convertible. I plan to have them separated in the center row most of the time, but would like the option to put both seats in the 60% side to give access to 3rd row when needed, as well as put them side by side both FF in the future. I am considering the Britax Advocate Clicktight and Britax Frontier Clicktight, but am concerned they will be too wide. Just curious if anyone with a 14' or 15' MDX has a similar situation and recommendation.

I know about the Diono Radian, but am concerned that my wife will have trouble properly securing the 8-month old based on reviews I have read. She is familiar Britax tightening so I would prefer to stick with them. I would get the Pinnacle, but believe that would be pushing it on the width since it is 3.5" wider.

The only real negative I found with the car so far is 3rd row access with two car seats in the 2nd row.

Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

The Advocate and Frontier are both very wide. The Frontier is not friendly to side by side installs at all. The Advocate's width is mostly up high, so it would probably be ok to install right next to something else while rear facing, but once it gets turned around, side by side installs are likely out of the question.

The Boulevard ClickTight is more likely to work for side by side installs when it's forward facing, and is mostly the same car seat, minus the big wings.

How big is the 3 year old? What size shirts does s/he wear? We might be able to make some alternate suggestions.

lgenne

If you really like Britax and want the ClickTight feature, and you want side by side installs, I think the only option is some combination of Marathons and/or Boulevards.

Other narrowish options are Diono seats (you mentioned Radians), Harmony Defender, Graco Size4Me/Fit4Me/Contender/Headwise, Clek Foonf/Fllo, Recaro Performance Sport, Evenflo Sureride.

NYAVGUY

I ended up going with the Foonf for the 9-month old, which after hours of wrestling, finally got installed well. I can actually fit in the middle between the Foonf and our current Britax Pavilion. Hopefully it will be the same when his Larger Frontier arrives.

Only issue with the Foonf is that it doesn't recline as much as we would like for the little guy to sleep on longer rides. There also isn't much support for the little guy. I am considering trying the Peg Perego Convertible or Graco Size4Me to see if either of those fit better.

allmyboyz

If you try to put the seats together for access to third row, can you update? I am trying to figure out what to do in my 14 highlander as I will have a baby in October and will need access to third row for either baby or ds1. I think dimensions are similar in the Acura.

NYAVGUY

Update--

The Foonf isn't working for the 9-month old. He is not reclined enough and his head keeps falling down when he falls asleep. The Foonf instructions don't appear to allow noodles or other adjusters so I don't think this will work. I really wanted to like the Foonf. It is also a pain to remove and install when needed.

I purchased the Peg Perego Convertible and he seems to like that so far. It is more reclined and was much easier to install. Only issue is that the neck guards appear to block the chest protector from getting high enough sometimes.

I tried my 3-year old in the Foonf, and he did like it, but he is already at the 2nd to highest strap level so I am not sure it is worth keeping since it doesn't work good rear facing in my car for the little guy eventually.

I put my 3-year old in the Frontier and he loves it. Plus it was so easy to install with the new clicktight system. Only concern is that he looks so small it it.

I am considering giving the Frontier to my parents who drive him around occasionally and keeping him in their Pavilion a little longer in our car.

My goal is safety with both ease of installation and tightening. My wife likes the Foonf because it is so easy to tighten. Peg Perego is also easier than a Britax.

I am not sure what to do next, but need to return one of these expensive seats soon. Any advise would be appreciated.

NYAVGUY

If you try to put the seats together for access to third row, can you update? I am trying to figure out what to do in my 14 highlander as I will have a baby in October and will need access to third row for either baby or ds1. I think dimensions are similar in the Acura.

They don't fit next to each other, but I can actually fit in-between them for short trips. 3rd row access is an issue that I haven't solved yet. Everyday safety is priority right now.

NYAVGUY

I switched the 9-month old back to the Foonf today. Peg Perego was harder to tighten, shoulder guards were too big, and when I got it to the correct angle for rear facing with a noodle, the driver seat could not move back enough for me. Even though it is smaller than the foonf, the foonf height helps with the fit.

I got the Foonf in at a slightly more reclined angle this time by leaving the seat back up and not as reclined, which pushed the base in more when I tightened it. I am glad the MDX manual says to tighten car seats until there is a depression in the seat, as I will be giving back this leased car with some nice car seat marks in the leather. Hopefully the Foonf works this time, I really want to like it. After all the hours I have spent watching videos and working on the install, it better work (my Wife won't let me spend any more time working on the car seats)

For my 3-year old I put him back in a Pavilion G3 (which My parents had for their car) for a little while longer. I gave the Grandparents the New Britax Frontier click-tight I bought for when they drive him around about once a week. They love the easy install as they take it in/out often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC