2012 ford explorer?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We have been trying to get one for review at CarseatBlog for some time, but so far have not been able to obtain one.

cso1997

Do not get a bench in the second row. Get bucket seats. The second row center seat is tiny and basically unusable. You cannot fit two seats next to each other and having two outboard cuts off access to the third row.

We absolutely love the car. It would be perfect for our family with bucket seats. We saw one like that at the auto show and it made us sad to have a bench. Let me know if you have any other questions. We've had our X for over a year.

ETA - Rear facing seats in the third row can be tough as far as clearance with the second row. Our Keyfit worked but just barely. A somewhat upright convertible would probably be just fine though. The second row might be tight with a rear facing seat if you like to have your seat all the way back. Forward facing seats are a breeze with seatbelt or LATCH.

Freekel

Thank you! I thought it would not be realistic until I looked at it today! I saw one TA in the 3 rd row, is this correct? I would probably put my oldest 2 in the 3rd row, ffing and my 18month old rfing in the second row. Can you leave or remove one of the 2nd row seats? Also, have you installed a radian in the 2 nd row? I will be getting the angle adjuster soon.
I was really surprised at how much cargo room was in the back!

macmomma

Love my 2011 explorer. I have the bench seat in the second row since I needed the extra seat for short term kid placements. When I need three seats in my car I put two in the third row and one in the middle row.
Overal a great car!!!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My concern is the seat belt/torso airbags in the new Explorer. I know many car seat manufacturers state not to install their car seats via seat belt with these type of seat belts. There is still a lot of unknown about these type of air bags in combinations with car seats.

Just food for thought.

Freekel

jen_nah said:
My concern is the seat belt/torso airbags in the new Explorer. I know many car seat manufacturers state not to install their car seats via seat belt with these type of seat belts. There is still a lot of unknown about these type of air bags in combinations with car seats.

Just food for thought.

You can get it without the airbags in the seatbelts :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Also, my understanding is that at present, every seating position with inflatable rear seat belts is equipped with LATCH. Thankfully, Ford has somewhat more generous limits on their hardware than many other manufacturers, so at least most parents will have a suitable alternative. It is still something to carefully consider if you opt for a trim level or option package with this feature and have carseats installed in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC