2011 Ody safety ratings

ADS

tl01

I saw that last night! I was pretty stoked since I already bought one... Now I wait for the IIHS ratings.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Kudos to Honda, this is an exceptional vehicle in terms of crash safety and seating flexibility for larger families!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
What do you make of NHTSA still using a full-frontal collision vs the IIHS offset frontal?

As always, I believe it is very important, as the two tests are complementary. Designing a vehicle to do well in both tests is much more difficult than simply designing it to do well in one or the other. Since full-width frontal impacts are about as common as offset frontal impacts, it seems reasonable to continue doing both tests.

tl01

As always, I believe it is very important, as the two tests are complementary. Designing a vehicle to do well in both tests is much more difficult than simply designing it to do well in one or the other. Since full-width frontal impacts are about as common as offset frontal impacts, it seems reasonable to continue doing both tests.

It just seems that the offset is so much harder bc the force is spread over a smaller surface area. Either way though I'm pleased my car
did well. It was a little risky to buy it without the crash test results:p.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The general line of thinking is that the offset test is a more severe test of the vehicle frame in preventing intrustion. But, if you make the frame too rigid to improve results in this test, then that tends to transfer a lot more energy to the occupants in a full-width test because of the stiff frame. So, the full-width test tends to be a little more dependent on the active and passive safety features within the cabin to protect the passengers. You can make the frame crush/give more to reduce the forces transferred to the occupants, but then of course you risk doing worse on the intrusion in the offset test. Ideally, you hit just the right balance between the two, since both types of crashes are relatively common in the real world.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC