2010 Corolla and 3 across

Dillipop

We are renting a 2010 Corolla and it didn't come with an owner's manual. Can I put 3 seats in the rear? The seatbelts all cross each other, ugh!

I need to get a rfing seat and 2 boosters in the back. If needed, I can put ds (47 pounds) in a seat with a 48 pound latch limit and use latch for a ffing seat and latch for a rfing seat and my oldest can use our RSTV with seatbelt.

But before doing that, can I use all 3 seatbelts to install kids in the backseat?

I have-
Rfing-
roundabout 50
triumph advance
myride

boosters
HB Turbo
NB Turbo
Olli
and the RSTV to work with.

DS may fit in the myride or triumph advance still.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The seatbelts shouldn't cross, except the middle and side buckle stalks. They are actually anchored one in front of the other and it's fine to use both.

I'd put the Roundabout center and both Turbos outboard. (Or one and an RSTV if needed.) No borrowing center LATCH; flip center buckle to prevent unbuckling. The rear-facing seat may not touch EITHER front seat, and the kids shouldn't put their feet on the seats in front.

Dillipop

Here are a couple pics of the backseat. As you can see the center shoulder belt is closer to the door by about 2 inches than the pass. female end. On the other side, the center female end (the long one) is closer to the driver's side than the one meant for the driver's side seating position.

In order to use seatbelt for all 3 positions, I'd have to cross the belts.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 15

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm pretty sure last time I folded the seats in a Corolla the anchors are close, the stalks are just long and that's the way they come up.

It's safe to use them, I'd have no worries. Not like the RAV 4 where the belt is BEHIND the other person's back. But the high-based seat will help keep seats from laying on each other's belts. :)

aept

Here are a couple pics of the backseat. As you can see the center shoulder belt is closer to the door by about 2 inches than the pass. female end. On the other side, the center female end (the long one) is closer to the driver's side than the one meant for the driver's side seating position.

In order to use seatbelt for all 3 positions, I'd have to cross the belts.

The back seat of our Prius looks identical with the belts like in your picture. I have used all three belts for a three across in it. I'm not saying it's definitely ok, I'm not a tech. I thought it looked ok at the time, but I'm more just chiming in to see if what I have done in the past is ok. (Currently I only have seats in the Prius for my two oldest boys and I/we take the van if our youngest is with us.)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I suppose if you really don't want to do that you can LATCH two seats outboard and RSTV center, but that's going to be a major pain and way less comfortable for most occupants.

aept

I'm pretty sure last time I folded the seats in a Corolla the anchors are close, the stalks are just long and that's the way they come up.

It's safe to use them, I'd have no worries. Not like the RAV 4 where the belt is BEHIND the other person's back. But the high-based seat will help keep seats from laying on each other's belts. :)

Thanks. I was typing / posted at the same time as you.

Dillipop

I don't like it. But it'll work for now. I'll just need to make sure that I only have to transport 1 or 2 kids in it.

I ended up with myride passenger with latch, RSTV center, and HB turbo outboard. But, the turbo almost sits on top of the female stalk. I really don't like it.

At least I usually only have dd in the car with me at any given time. We'll just make sure the van is available for when someone has all the kids. Hopefully we have a new vehicle (or the other one gets fixed) quickly.

Dillipop

Oh and the belts are actually attached to the same anchors but inches apart. It feels like there is a bolt and a piece attached like this 0--0 where the two belts are attached to each O. They're just attached backwards in my opinion. It would make a lot more sense for them to be attached to the O closest to the seating position instead of farthest.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. They were way closer together on the 2009 I did! It is odd that they did that. But it's still not unsafe, I don't think, if you're dealing with narrow enough seats. They were probably trying to improve seatbelt geometry for adults.

Can the MyRide go driver's side? I seem to remember a little more room on the passenger side seating position, that might give more room to the Turbo...

Dillipop

Probably. But it still would make it awkward to buckle anything next to it. I'll try again in the morning.

It's hard to figure out which belt should go over the other, you know?

At least this has totally ruled out the Corolla as a possible replacement. I'm really pushing for a Mazda5.

tmk67

The rear-facing seat may not touch EITHER front seat, and the kids shouldn't put their feet on the seats in front.

Can you tell me more about this? We have an 05 Corolla and in order to fit in the front seat (we're tall) with a RF seat installed, the car seat has to touch the front seat.

aept

Can you tell me more about this? We have an 05 Corolla and in order to fit in the front seat (we're tall) with a RF seat installed, the car seat has to touch the front seat.

You will need to check your vehicle manual. I don't know if this will apply to your 2005 or not.
Newer model years of the Corolla (and some other vehicles) have advanced airbag sensors in the setbacks and/or headrests. With these sensors, it is prohibited for a car-seat to be touching them.
Your vehicle manual will say something about this if it applies to you. Please check it to make sure you can brace the carseat against the driver or passenger seats before you do it. Until you check the manual it is probably best to not allow them to touch.
My 2003 Corolla did not have the advanced airbags / sensors. I could have a rf seat touching if the carseat allowed it. I don't know what year they started using the sensors, though.

tmk67

You will need to check your vehicle manual. I don't know if this will apply to your 2005 or not.
Newer model years of the Corolla (and some other vehicles) have advanced airbag sensors in the setbacks and/or headrests. With these sensors, it is prohibited for a car-seat to be touching them.
Your vehicle manual will say something about this if it applies to you. Please check it to make sure you can brace the carseat against the driver or passenger seats before you do it. Until you check the manual it is probably best to not allow them to touch.
My 2003 Corolla did not have the advanced airbags / sensors. I could have a rf seat touching if the carseat allowed it. I don't know what year they started using the sensors, though.

Thanks, I will check the manual when I get home but I know if DD pushes on the seat with her feet without a passenger in the front, it will make the sensor beep. So my guess is yes. Both girls are FF now but we'll have a RF infant soon so I wanted to know if we keep the 05 Corolla to do 3 across. When the bucket was touching the front seat with DD2, the sensor never went off FWIW.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC