Question 2009 Mazda5

ellerysmama

After reading a few threads about minivans vs trucks, and midsize SUVs with utility trailers....I am now looking at the Mazda5. I am thinking a minivan is maybe overkill for us?

Safety is my #1 concern. #2 is low cost - if I can stay below 12k that would be awesome. #3 fuel economy.

We will have 2 kids (#2 is arriving in Sept). No plan to add to the family. I'd love a 3rd row - doesn't have to carseat friendly. Small adults/older kids would be riding in 3rd row - which would be a rarity.

So the Mazda5 looks good to me. I don't see it on the informedforlife site, but from reading through archives I see that it's not there because it's not mass produced. Can anyone link me to good threads and or elaborate?

lastly :) -- the one I have my eye on is a 2009 $9,900 with about 108k miles on it. Worth it?

Any other cars that would meet my needs?

Thank you!!!!!!!

ADS

DawgDad

Definitely test drive it with you getting into that 3rd row. Honestly, it's tough getting in the 3rd row from the sliding door as an adult and if you already have two car seats in the middle row, you will have to climb in through the hatch by folding one of the seats down. That 3rd row is strictly for little kids...there is just hardly any room for the legs of a older child/small adult over 5' tall.

However, it checks off all your other criteria. Mazda used common materials here, so maintenance is low, gas mileage is great, and the price is where you want it to be. I personally try not to buy high mileage cars given that is when a lot of things need to be replaced...so while it might be $9k, you might be coming out of pocket $3k in a couple months. It's not a hard and fast rule, just something to think about...

CarSafetyGuy

^ Good advice there on testing it first. However, I'm okay with the high mileage vehicles, presuming they come from certain manufacturers (e.g., Toyota, Honda) and not others.

Regarding your post about priorities, depending on how much more you value safety than fuel economy, I'd suggest the 2005-era generation of the Honda Odyssey, as it's very hard to beat that from a safety POV, and several of them would fit in your budget. The EX-L and Touring trim models were also rated for around 17/26.

DawgDad

^ Good advice there on testing it first. However, I'm okay with the high mileage vehicles, presuming they come from certain manufacturers (e.g., Toyota, Honda) and not others.

Regarding your post about priorities, depending on how much more you value safety than fuel economy, I'd suggest the 2005-era generation of the Honda Odyssey, as it's very hard to beat that from a safety POV, and several of them would fit in your budget. The EX-L and Touring trim models were also rated for around 17/26.

I don't disagree with anything here. Just not my preference. Oftentimes more people are burned with immediate repairs on higher mileage cars versus those with under 100k. It's just the nature of the beast...miles is a great indicator of wear and tear (not the only thing of course), and stuff just needs to be replaced, tightened, or repaired.

I also second the option of looking at an Odyssey more...they are a safer vehicle in comparison to the Mazda 5, and I don't think it's overkill.

ellerysmama

Thank you! We are keeping the Honda Odyssey at the top of our list! I spoke to a mechanic today who's serving our Scion XA, and he and his friend were going on and on about the reliability of Hondas and Toyotas, and how at 100K they're just getting started lol

I am also keeping the Kia Sedona and the Hyundai Entourage in mind (I read on here it's the same exact vehicle?)...should I assume that it's not as reliable as a Honda though - like if I went for one of those...I should go for lower mileage?

I really appreciate all the advice. I know nothing about cars. Maybe by the end of this adventure I will! ;)

NVMBR02

FWIW, I would test out the Mazda 5 for yourself. I climbed in to the 3rd row behind with two rear facing seats when I was about 7 months pregnant. I also was fine sitting in the third row for the bit I was in it (I am 5'7") I wouldn't want to sit there for an extended amount of time, but for around town I was fine. I did look a bit goofy trying to get myself out of the third row however. :p

I was also able to install a few seats RFing in the third row. I know I had my Combi Coccoro there and I am pretty sure I had my Myride as well. I can not remember what other seats I tried, we only had it for 2 weeks as a rental. Loading into the third row through the hatch isn't too bad, but not my ideal.

If we didn't have 3 kids of our own, plus 2 more that ride with us regularly it would have been at the top of my list. If you do think you will need the third row on a regular basis though, I would say it may not suit your needs.

Happy car shopping!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC