2006 Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Looking at getting a 2006 Mountaineer. 7 passenger AWD. Leather seats.

Does anyone have one that can measure the rear cargo space behind the 3rd row. DH is freaking out that he NEEDS space (as in fill the trunk to the gills and load up the back seat of his car with crap "space". I told him he needs to get a grip LOL

This will have seats installed for the kids just like the van, as I am going back to work once he is on a different shift at work, and both vehicles need to be usable at any given time.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I have an '06 Explorer I can measure for you. What seats do you have? FYI the Radian HATES the Explorer FF and the LATCH strap on the SLs loosens RF. Going to measure. BRB

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Ok, 46" with the 3rd row down. 15.5" with it up. The 3rd row is split, too, so you can have 1 seat up and 1 down.

Thank you SO much! With 5 kids, it will always be up :whistle: LOL

I have the RN, 2 Maestros, a SS, a Symphony 65, 2 Avenues, and a HBB (Evenflo BigKid, but it expires in 2 months)

jess71903

Ambassador
Is the backseat wide enough to get a 3 across without using a Radian?

Yes, with the right combo. It's weird, though. Just because I can get 2 seats side by side on the driver's side doesn't mean I can passenger side (due to the way it's split). I'm going to go look at my 3-across combos. I know I got a FF MyRide and RF TF next to each other at one point, so I think a more narrow seat like a CA would work, although I've never tried it.

armywife12

Is the backseat wide enough to get a 3 across without using a Radian?

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but, in my 03 Mountaineer, I was able to get a RF Myride, RF Snugride, and a RF true Fit in the second row and the seats were barely touching. I'm not sure how different the vehicles are though. The CA is also incompatible while RF in my vehicle, at least I have found it to be so.

mama d

Interested in this too, same car. I have a chaperone and frontier together, but next month will be attempting a frontier and rf proride together.

hunypooh77

I have an 03 explorer and I can tell you there is really not much usable space behind my 3rd row. Its also not very convenient to get to those seats. My 3rd row seat isnt split, it seats 2 and the 2 positions are wide making it not the greatest fit for a car seat.
In my 2nd row I can get a keyfit, ff marathon, and a turbo booster, in that order.

mama d

I was just thinking that when ds goes ff ( a while from now ) I will no cargo space hardly because of the tethers from the two seats. Oh well, best for the kiddos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC