2004 Toyota Matrix and 3 car seats

U

Unregistered

Hi! My name is Jeff and I have a dilemma. I own a 2004 Toyota Matrix and I have 3 kids. I want to know what the safest combination of car seats that will fit in the back of my Matrix. I am in a bad state financially and can't afford a different car and wanted to see if there is a way that we can SAFELY put all three kids in the back. The kids' stats are as follows:

Matthew, 6 yo., 40 lbs, 46 inches tall and is currently in an Evenflo Big Kid Amp Booster

Samantha, 2 yrs 2 mo, 26 lbs, 33.5 inches tall and is currently in a Britax Marathon Forward Facing

Elizabeth, 3 mo, 11.5 lbs, 23 inches tall and is currently in a Graco SnugRide 30 Rear Facing

Currently, this setup does not allow for my son Matthew to be able to ride in the car if the other 2 car seats are installed. This makes it very tough to plan outings as you can imagine and I'm very tired of the car seat juggling/planning that has to take place for every trip. I also want to make sure that my kids are very safe as well. If this cannot be done safely, then I obviously need to focus my attention elsewhere but I figured I can't be the only one with this problem and it is worth a shot. Thanks for all the help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Jeff. I'm sure we can help.

The Amp is not a narrow booster, nor do the tall armrests make it play well with others. What I'd probably do is try to get the Marathon rear facing ideally for Samantha (it can sit as upright as 30 degrees at that age), I'd look at a Harmony Youth Booster for Matthew as that's far more narrow and lower and will hopefully fit (added bonus, it's $13 and provides a great belt fit on most kids), and then the baby next to Matthew probably. You can also install the infant seat baseless to give the three of them more room. And try out the three seats in various configurations. Matthew in the middle the baby in the middle, whatever works so you can drive safely, a front seat passenger has 20" between them and the airbag, and Matthew has head support from the car to the level of his ears.

That would be my first suggestion. The next thing that would come to mind would be a $70 Safety 1st Guide 65 for Samantha. It's narrow, longer lasting rear and forward facing than the Marathon, and is something you could then use for the baby when the Snugride is outgrown.

How old is the Marathon? I want to make sure if it was Matthew's that it isn't expired, or make sure it's new for Samantha (in which case hopefully she and Elizabeth can use it if it fits in the car with the other seats).

Wendy

Meg

I have similar age kids and we have 3 across with no problems in a 2005 Matrix. We have a Harmony Literider passenger side outboard, a FF Roundabout 50 (same thing as classic marathon), and a RF Combi Cocorro outboard behind the driver.

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone! I actually got the car seats to fit thanks to the suggestions and some creative thinking! I should get a narrower booster for my son though as his seat is pretty crammed. Thankfully he is skinny and it will do for now I think. Installing the graco RF behind the passenger side with no base was the key. The britax fit nicely in the center (it has two more years of life according to the expiration date). Then the booster behind the driver side with the arm tucked under the edge of the britax (the booster sits nice and level doing this). My wife is going to try it tomorrow and see how it goes! Not necessarily the most ideal but it works! Thanks!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC