2-in-1 for Audi A3 Convertible?

Audi Guy

Just purchased an Audi A3 convertible. Value judgments about whether kids should ride in the back of roofless cars aside, I'm trying to find a high-backed seat with a harness that will fit behind my driver's seat when it's all the way back (I'm a tall guy). My son's Parkway SGL booster (15" seat depth) fits nicely, but I also need to find a 2-in-1 for my daughter who's still not heavy enough / tall enough to ride without a harness.

I'd like something high backed with good side head protection, as the tops of the car seats protrude above the door line of the car. While I'm probably deluding myself, having a modicum of head cushioning in the event we get t-boned by a Yukon or a Tahoe will make me feel a bit better.

Thanks.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! How old is your daughter and how much does she weigh? That will help with the seat recommendations :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Congrats on the sweet new ride! I'm jealous!

Is this a 2015 A3 Cabrio? I just want to confirm because I'm trying to determine if your vehicle has tether anchors. Convertibles are exempt from the federal standard that requires vehicles to have top tether anchors for carseats. Some convertibles have them and others do not - it really depends on whether or not the engineers were able to find a suitable location for them.

According to my 2015 LATCH Manual (LATCH guide for CPS Tech): the 2013 A3 Cabrio does have tether anchors so that's good news if this is the vehicle you own. "(2) Tether Anchors on backs of seats. Fold vehicle seat forward to attach tether strap, then return it to its upright position to install CR."

What is your budget? Do you want a seat that converts to a booster after the 5-point harness is outgrown?

My top suggestions for "combination" seats (forward-facing only harness/booster):

1) Evenflo Transitions or Evolve (similar seat - different names depending on retailer)
I'm working on the review for CarseatBlog now. So far it's a solid seat with no major cons that I've found.

2) Graco Argos 80 Elite: http://carseatblog.com/30014/graco-argos-80-elite-review-it-just-keeps-getting-better/

3) Recaro Performance Sport: http://carseatblog.com/24022/recaro-performance-sport-harness-booster-review-performance-indeed/

4) Britax Frontier CT (ClickTight): http://carseatblog.com/21567/britax...-review-features-and-clicktight-installation/

HTH!

Audi Guy

Congrats on the sweet new ride! I'm jealous!

Is this a 2015 A3 Cabrio? ...According to my 2015 LATCH Manual (LATCH guide for CPS Tech): the 2013 A3 Cabrio does have tether anchors so that's good news if this is the vehicle you own. "(2) Tether Anchors on backs of seats. Fold vehicle seat forward to attach tether strap, then return it to its upright position to install CR."

What is your budget? Do you want a seat that converts to a booster after the 5-point harness is outgrown?

Thanks for the details. Yeah, I'm in love with this car. The car seat install, not so much! It does have the tether anchor you describe, **BUT** as noted the tether is not only on the back of the seat, but located very close to the trunk cutout. The net result is that any of the tethers that have the single center strap with big buckle located several inches above the latch hook (e.g. on the Argos, which I tried out yesterday at BRU) don't work, as the buckle gets in the way of folding the vehicle seat back up into place (This guy on Youtube did a nice job showing the problem at about the 3:30 mark).

The Brittax style dual straps that go on either side of the head rest with the single clip between them and buckle up by the head of the seat don't have this problem. But the Brittax seat I have doesn't fit very well, and it doesn't convert. So that's annoying.

I do want a seat that converts to a booster after the 5-point harness is out grown, as I'd expect my daughter is going to be to that point within two years if she follows in her brother's footsteps. For the right seat, price isn't a particular concern. The Argos seemed perfect given the overall slim depth, but the inability to hook up the tether makes it a non-starter for me.

Audi Guy

Evenflow Maestro maybe?

Yes! Thanks for suggesting this. The geometry was perfect for this install. While the center tether buckle configuration wasn't ideal, I was able to improvise and wedge it under the trunk ledge to get a rock solid install once I pulled the tether strap tight. And the lower latch connection was was easy.

I can post pictures if anyone cares, but suffice it to say I'm happy. For anyone else considering this, know that the Diono, Recaro, Safety 1st and Graco seats were all non-starters based on their tether buckles. The Brittax Pioneer was usable, in that the tether and latches all connected properly, but the depth of the seat required moving the passenger seat forward a few inches to make room for legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Audi Guy

Given the dearth of information out there for car seats in this particular model, I went ahead and uploaded the pictures I took so folks can see how it fits. The taller of the two seats is a Brittax Parkway SGL booster. The shorter of the two seats is the Evenflow Maestro.

The picture from inside the trunk shows how, with the Maestro, you need to hook up the tether loosely first, then close the rear seat, then pull up on the strap until tight. You can see the tether is being held tight not by the latch point, but by the top back wall of the trunk. In the event of an accident, I recognize this could theoretically cause the seat back to pop open, but if that happens the tether is then still hooked up and shouldn't give by more than a couple of inches. Mindful that tethers aren't even required in a cabrio, I figure this is a better outcome than not having it at all. Also, with the lower latches engaged I question whether the seat back could actually move, or whether the Maestro is going to hold the seat back in place. Here's to hoping we never find out!

XMU8mp2.jpg

nR7u1A9.jpg

WiRQW8y.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC