1998 Toyota Rav4 convertible seat

Rustyra24

I own a 98 Rav4 and am currently looking for a convertible seat. It is a small SUV with a lap belt in the center. It is the only place to put a car seat. I bought a Radian XT based on research on forums. They somehow managed to install the seat and I honestly don't know how they pulled it off.. I had to put both seats as far forward as possible and could not get it installed.

Does anybody have any suggestions on car seats brands that might fit?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Did you get an XT, or an RXT? An XT hasn't been made in forever.

Did you get an angle adjuster? That will sit it more upright.

Not sure who installed it for you, but a tech's job is to teach you how to do it yourself so you are empowered to move the seat and install it in different vehicles. If the person who helped you didn't do that, you may choose to seek out a different tech in the future. http://cert.safekids.org/find-tech

Wendy

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Not sure who installed it for you, but a tech's job is to teach you how to do it yourself so you are empowered to move the seat and install it in different vehicles. If the person who helped you didn't do that, you may choose to seek out a different tech in the future. http://cert.safekids.org/find-tech

Wendy

I interpreted the OP as meaning that the folks on the forums were able to get it installed in their vehicles, not that someone else installed the seat in this case. I could be wrong, but that was what I thought.

Rustyra24, what is the age of the child who will be using the convertible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's definitely a tiny back seat. I second Wendy's approach of using the angle adjuster if you can. We had a '96 RAV4 and I remember eating the dash when we had a rear-facing seat in that car. We did manage, when we had 1 child, to install his seat in the middle without much problem, but this was back before modern carseats.

How old is your child?

Rustyra24

She is going to be 1 in 6 days. The seat is an RXT. I do not know if the angle adjuster will help. Due to the height of the seat, I have to push the seats all the way forward. My wife has a Chicco Nextfit and I might see if it works.

Rustyra24

It worked. Took two people to install it correctly. We also used the rear facing tether around the driver seat frame rail for more support. Its a little snug.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC