Question 1997 Audi, no TT, installing front-facing

auderey

Hi folks,

We just bought a new/used car, a 1997 Audi A4 (small sedan). My son (turns 2 this week) is still rear facing in his Evenflo Triumph, but it's incredibly hard to tighten the belt due to how the knob presses against the seat. Because of this, I looked to turn it front facing, but the car does not have top tether anchors - the manual says I have to have a dealer install them. The dealer has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about for "such an old car", and my conversations with Audi USA are not promising so far.

Any advice? I could leave it as it is, rear-facing, which is a pretty good install but I know that we're not adjusting the straps as well as we could if we had better access to the knob. I could switch it to front-facing without the tether (the manual seems to imply it's required, but doesn't actually say that). I could buy a new seat that explicitly allows tether optional. My son is reasonably happy rear-facing for now and still fits, so the pressure to turn is simply to maintain the safest installation - but we will likely want to turn him within a year anyway.

In the slightly-longer-term view, we have a second baby coming in October; the bucket seat we have now is a Chicco Keyfit. I haven't looked whether both of those seats will fit, but the rear seat is not very roomy and the Evenflo will NOT fit rear-facing behind the driver's seat when my husband is driving, so the bucket will have to go there, unless the Evenflo takes up less room front-facing. We switched from the bucket very early with our first (like 4 months) and will likely do the same with the second, so we'll need to fit two convertibles in the back within a year. I mention all this because if the best solution to replace the Evenflo, I'd like to do it with an eye toward what will work for us in 6 months/a year from now.

Thank you!!

ADS

auderey

Update: I found a different dealership that knows how to install anchors, for about $200. It seems to me this is worth it, in terms of safety? I should install front-facing using the lap/shoulder belt + top tether, correct?

Would still love opinions on a good configuration for two car seats in the rear of the Audi, though.

Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is absolutely worth it, safety wise, to get tethers put in. Kudos to you for being willing to figure out how to do it! Do you need a part number for your specific car, or do they have it figured out?

I'll let someone who is more experienced in your car help you on configurations. :)

mommyfrog

Personally I'd get a different car seat and leave him rear facing, especially since your only reason for turning him is the knobs and most seats dont have them. He can be more upright than the 45 degrees needed for a newbie so his seat will likely take up less room and could go behind your hubby.

nannykates

What about a radian with angle adjuster and continue to rear face? You will want to keep the evenflo around because the radian probably won't fit rf without the angle adjuster for baby when you move from the convertible (babies need more recline). So until the baby has good head control you will need to use the evenflo or keyfit, and if the baby doesn't need it and your toddler is happy and fits rf there really would be no compelling reason to turn him around. Then when the baby is ready for the radian turn the evenflo ff for your toddler (and yes it will take less space forward facing). Rear facing is safest the goal is to get to 4 years. You are doing a great job!! :)

auderey

thanks everyone!!! this is super helpful.

so, @nannykates, it sounds like with your proposed method, we'd actually never need the top tether anchors. i like that idea. $wise, it's pretty much a wash to install the top anchors vs buying a new radian.

it seems the angle adjuster on the radian is only to give more space between the child seat and the front/adult seat? can anyone help me on distinguishing the radian RXT from the GTX from the 100 or 120?

auderey

oh, maybe we still would need top tethers? at age 4 we'd turn to front-facing and ideally use a tether, before eventually using a booster. or can you go straight from rear-facing until age 4 to booster and thus skip the top tethers completely?

i think getting the top tether anchors installed will only get harder as the car gets older (in terms of finding a tech & parts), so if we will need it maybe we should do that now even though we won't use it for a couple years?

nannykates

thanks everyone!!! this is super helpful.

so, @nannykates, it sounds like with your proposed method, we'd actually never need the top tether anchors. i like that idea. $wise, it's pretty much a wash to install the top anchors vs buying a new radian.

it seems the angle adjuster on the radian is only to give more space between the child seat and the front/adult seat? can anyone help me on distinguishing the radian RXT from the GTX from the 100 or 120?

It really depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I would probably put the tether in just in case anyway but if you only want the vehicle for another year or so then skip it.

Radian 100 has lower weight limits 40lbs rf/65 lbs ff and no headwings
Radian 120 is 45 rf/80 ff no headwings
Rxt 45 rf/80 ff has headwings
Gtx is a rxt with a piddle pad and extra cup holder
So it really comes down to headwings or no, some people find them annoying others think they are safer, we really don't know.

auderey

I thought I'd update everyone here. I had the tethers installed - for $600! (about $250 parts for 2 sides + labor). And I got the Radian which we installed RF. It's a more comfortable seat for our 2 year old and it's way easier to get him tightened appropriately. BUT - even with the angle adjuster, it takes up EXACTLY as much space RF as the Evenflo did! So I'm happier with the install for now, and when the new baby comes I think we'll have to compromise on keeping baby in a bucket seat for as long as we possibly can, then turn one of the seats for the toddler. Hopefully we'll make it to 3 yrs before we have to do that. It's not likely we'll get another car in the next few years. I really appreciate all your help here!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC