1981 Chevy C10 and Britax Marathon rear facing

L

L J

My daily driver is in the shop for the next week. We have to use DH single cab 1981 Chevy C10 truck in the mean time. Where is the best place to install the seat? middle or passenger side? There is no airbag as the pickup is so old. Does anyone also know where I would tether to? I don't have to use the tether in my Acura as it has the latch system, but this truck is so old it does not. Any help would be much appreciative. Thanks!

ADS

rosey2007

I thought I would bump this thread for you. Are you rear facing or forwarding facing the seat? How old and what is the weight of your children?

CMeMeC

If there is enough room and a proper seat belt in the center, I think that would be best. I'm confused by your use of the word tether? Do you mean top tether? If you are installing the seat forward facing, you should be using the top tether with or without latch. How old is the child?

MotoMommaNH

With a vehicle of that age I don't think your biggest issue is going to be where is better but what position is going to work best for a secure install. It will not have pre crash locking mechanisms and may be different seat belt types for each position. Remember to refer to your Britax manual to verify what type is acceptable according to the manufacturer. You'll most likely need to use either the lockoff on the car seat or a belt shortening clip depending on the type of seatbelt present.
And don't worry about the top tether, its not a requirement for a rear facing installation.

Keeanh

What kind of seatbelts do you have? Are all 3 of you in the truck? If so, then the car seat should go in the middle. I assume it's a lap belt. Does it have a tail that you pull to tighten? Or does it have a locking retractor?

If this vehicle is going to be used long-term, I would look into replacing the seatbelts. They're 32 years old, and I believe I read a recommendation to replace after 20 years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC