15 month old wth DS help

brooklynsmommy

Ok my fellow car seat nerdies, I need some help. A little girl at DD's daycare needs help. DC provider is friends with mom. Told friend that this has to be fixed and to leave her seat on Friday when she comes. Straps are way below her shoulders (has to be a convertable!) but is forward facing. She is a tiny little one. DC provider doesn't know how to change the straps.... yet she has 2 kids. So I will be moving the straps and PUSHING for rear facing. Now the question that I am stumped on is that little one wears a helmet all the time for seizures. DC provider said that she wears it in the car as well. I don't see a problem with it at all, except if mom won't RF. The helmet is pretty thick squishy foam and would really push her head forward.

Where do I ever start? Most people are very receptive (I just rearranged a whole van of seats and left my Nautilus at a friend's friend's son's birthday party last weekend) but I have never met this mom. I do have Judi on speed dial!

ADS

Pixels

Show DCP how to change straps. DCP should know how to do this, at least for her own children.

If the child will fit RFing, absolutely push for RFing. It won't be comfortable for the child to have her head pushed forward. Is it necessary to wear it in the carseat? That should be checked with doc. If it's possible to put child in seat, harness, then remove helmet for the ride (reversing the procedure at arrival), that would be more comfortable. I don't imagine that the helmet would be all that necessary or beneficial while in the seat, since it's a padded thing that's designed to be impacted by child. But that's in my mind, and should be cleared with doc. Another reason to RF with the helmet is the added neck strain due to the helmet's weight.

See if you can arrange to meet with the child's mom as well to discuss the issues. Or better yet, see if she would meet up with Judi or a local tech you trust.

jess71903

Ambassador
Show DCP how to change straps. DCP should know how to do this, at least for her own children.

If the child will fit RFing, absolutely push for RFing. It won't be comfortable for the child to have her head pushed forward. Is it necessary to wear it in the carseat? That should be checked with doc. If it's possible to put child in seat, harness, then remove helmet for the ride (reversing the procedure at arrival), that would be more comfortable. I don't imagine that the helmet would be all that necessary or beneficial while in the seat, since it's a padded thing that's designed to be impacted by child. But that's in my mind, and should be cleared with doc. Another reason to RF with the helmet is the added neck strain due to the helmet's weight.

See if you can arrange to meet with the child's mom as well to discuss the issues. Or better yet, see if she would meet up with Judi or a local tech you trust.

:yeahthat: to all of it. The car seat should be doing the same job that the helmet is meant for when he's out of the car. Surely it wouldn't be necessary while he's strapped in/in no danger of falling and protected by the CR's shell. It is ESPECIALLY crucial that a kiddo with DS is rear-facing. His little joints are likely very loose, and it's possible he has atlanto-axial instability, or an unstable C1 and C2 joint.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Also, I doubt the child is tall enough to fit the requirments to forward face in that seat.

brooklynsmommy

I'll find out what seat it is tomorrow. I don't see why she would need the helmet on in the car. I believe it's only in case she falls. I'll update tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC