News WHOOOOOO 45 pound rearfacing limit is coming SOON!!!!

triscuitsmom

I might be a *tad* bit excited LOL I don't buy Dorel products so I have been waiting to see what Sunshine Kids was going to do with Radian rearfacing limits.

Sunday I saw them for preorder on Junior Baby with a 45 pound weight limit for the new Radian XT. They are available in December 09 or early 10 depending on where you read. I called Junior Baby to confirm and they confirmed it was really supposed to be 45 pounds. To confirm again I just got off the phone with Sunshine Kids and they too confirmed that the new Radian XTs coming in early 2010 will have the increased weight limit. I didn't ask about the other models but there is another thread on here saying that they will be increased to 40 pounds so that is good news all around for the Radians. I am happy to see the new limits and I can't wait to get a Flora for our new van next year :thumbsup:

ADS

T.O. Twins

Will these new 45lb Canadian XT's have super latch? I notice that they aren't called the XTSL, but it seems that, in the US, Sunshine Kids is require the SL to get to 45 pounds rearfacing.

NewfieMoma

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOu just made my day :) Looks like I will be buying 2 seats next year :) Lets hope Chelsea stays below 30lbs till then, she is only 28 now so We'll see

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Will these new 45lb Canadian XT's have super latch? I notice that they aren't called the XTSL, but it seems that, in the US, Sunshine Kids is require the SL to get to 45 pounds rearfacing.

My guess would be that they will. The reason for SL being part of the requirement of the 45lb rf'ing weight limit makes a lot of sense, so I would really have some concerns if they figured it was ok for Canada to keep using the old UAS to 45lbs rf'ing but dangerous for the US folks to use it to 45lbs...

hipmaman

Yes, the new models (Radian, XT and Monterey) will have new UAS anchors. XT will be 45 lbs and Radian will have 40 lbs rf limit. No retroactive for current seats.

I do expect to see more sales of the current models though :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And does anyone know about the 32" RF height limit? I sent yet another email to SK asking them if they were finally going to address with increasing their RF weight limits. I have not heard back from them yet.

I'd really like to know how the fitment requirements work for CMVSS because it seems to me this would have to be an issue they would address to meet CMVSS (how many 45# 32" tall kids do you know? ;)).

If they address the 32" RF height limit and if someone can help me get the darn thing in my MDX more upright, then I'm totally in for one! I want the Flora pattern, but DD says "I want the PINK one with the flowers!".

amyd

My understanding was that the SL thing was so you'd never need a seatbelt to install the restraint (it can be LATCHed to 65 or 80, depending on the seat & vehicle year). I didn't think it had anything to do with RFing:confused:

my2kidsSafe

does anyone know anything the older radians. I am hoping they will change the weight limit on them. Mine missed the cutoff by a few months and i would love to try ds rearfacing again but he is above the limit.

Shanora

:bow:
OH MY GOSH!!!! This is SUPER exciting!!! :2thumbsup: GAHHHH Now I have NO idea what seat to buy....:scratcheshead::ROTFLMAO:

snowbird25ca

does anyone know anything the older radians. I am hoping they will change the weight limit on them. Mine missed the cutoff by a few months and i would love to try ds rearfacing again but he is above the limit.

No, there will not be any retroactive changes in Canada. The only way SK could make that happen is if they were willing to send out new stickers and owner manuals to every registered owner of seats made within that time period - an expense I doubt they're willing to undertake given the relatively small # of people that will use the seat to 40lbs... (Just honestly speaking, in real life the seat won't be used to 40lbs on a normal basis, and most people wouldn't even be aware of the notice about US seats...)

Amy - SK has come out and said that the reason seats will not be retroactive to 45lbs and that only SL seats will rf to 45lbs is because when they did NCAP testing at a 45lb rf'ing limit with the normal UAS connectors, the connectors failed. (Not sure in what manner - whether it was the strap itself, or if the connectors deformed enough to release or what - the SL seats have Super Latch connectors as well as a stronger webbing for the belt material itself.)

From what was said, the forces placed on the UAS anchors/belt at higher rf'ing limits are more than what a ff'ing seat would place on the anchors and connectors.

NCAP testing is done at 5mph faster than the required testing - so it is a much harder test to pass - but they basically aren't willing to lose the safety margin they have at the 40lb rf'ing limit and thus SL came along to address the problem. It's important to note that NCAP is extra testing that they're doing - and just because they pushed the limits enough to have failure doesn't indicate that there's a problem. In fact, it's a good sign that they addressed it through the development of SL and won't be allowing rf'ing limits above 40lbs without it. :thumbsup: (And no, the kit won't be available retroactively - apparently the harness, UAS belt and connectors, and top tether are all different on the XT SL model in comparison to the regular XT model. SK doesn't want to run the risk that a parent may not do all 3 parts of the update, so is not going to provide kits.)

Techno - I also hope to see that 32" disappear. It is really a random number all things considered, and either SK is silently acknowledging that any parent using the seat to the upper limits is going to exceed the height limit anyways and doesn't care, or they do need to revise it. A 45lb child who is under 32" is going to be a pretty obese kid (medical conditions for short stature not withstanding. ;))

dogmelissa

This sounds like a stupid question even to me, but is it safe to assume I'll still be able to install one of these with a regular old seatbelt? We don't have the UAS in our car.

I love the idea of a 45 lb RF seat, but it's adding to my confusion over which one to buy!

Any word - or did the presale say - on the price of this one?

Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC