Need to replace my Marathon soon

amyd

:( I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MA, but it only RF's to 30lbs & that's just not acceptable:thumbsdown: I've got 2 little boys that I drive around with most of the time (one mine & one I babysit full-time). They are 15 months & 17 months & both 25+ lbs. I currently have a MA & a TF. I'd like to replace the MA with a 40lb RFing seat, but I'm not sure I want the Complete Air. I admit, I'm Britax-spoiled & even the TF (while a great seat & am happy with the purchase) just isn't quite what I wanted. Would I like a Radian? Does it have a continuous loop harness? That's really what I dislike about the TF & the Dorel seats. I've really never played with a Radian (don't see those coming through checks around here...lol). I like the look (and covers) of the XT, but we don't know if it's going to be 40lbs here in Canada like the original & premier, right? I'm looking at buying in the new year, but am trying to figure out my options. I know we're supposed to get the MyRide too, right? I've played with this in Target the last time we were in the US & it doesn't really impress me that much (like I said, I'm spoiled:p). I've actually been considering the RA50 for the 35lb RFing limit. Anyone here used one of those? They don't have UAS bars or lock-offs, correct? Or was the just the old RAs? We've probably got at least a year until one of the boys hits 35, but that 30lb mark is coming up for my 26lber fairly soon (and then we add snowboots).

So if you've followed my ramblings, bless you:love: Any thoughts? WWYD?

ETA- I should add, money's not a consideration so feel free to make suggestions I haven't thought of...really the only seat I couldn't justify is the Advocate (but, boy, do I want one...lol)

Last edited:
ADS

ontariomama

Well... I'm kind of in the same boat, although my DS is only about 20-21 lbs... and 9 months old. I'm VERY interested in the Radians coming with a 40 lb rfing limit. I have seen them IRL, but haven't played with them. They look very nice to me.

I think you should start saving now (or at least have the $$ earmarked) and wait as long as possible before making your purchase. You never know when something new is going to be coming. Who knows... we might even get a 45 lb rfing Radian too!!!

HTH :)

featherhead

I don't think you'll know if you like it until you try it:) It does not have the continuous harness (I don't like continuous harness either). I love how easy it is to get kids in without smacking their noggins on the door frame. I'm slowly saving up to get two XTs for my girls.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The RA50 does not have lock-offs or LATCH bars. The original had lock-offs but not a LATCH bar.

I've played with the RA50 and it's a nice seat. It's about the only Britax seat that I think is worth the price. The others are all over-priced for what they are IMHO.

So far as the Radian, what kind of vehicle is it going in? The biggest thing a lot of people complain about with it is the lack of adjustability in terms of the recline. It's much more problematic in some vehicles than others. My truck I have the problem of too little recline vs. the problem most others face of not being able to get it more upright than 45*. I've seen one vehicle where it actually naturally installs over-reclined and there's nothing that can be done to fix it due to seat contouring.

The other issue with the radian is it's very very hard to adjust in some cases. I've been in emails with SK since last week about mine and still don't have a resolution. Which is the other issue - CS can be questionable at times and excellent at others - it really depends on what you're dealing with. My radian is only in use right now because I need it. Dd has strict instructions to not loosen herself at all because it's so difficult to tighten it in the first place - and we otherwise loosen and tighten each time, so it's a huge PITA. But I know not all of them are like that - just be prepared for it to be more difficult than the MA and pretty much any other seat.

amyd

It's going into a 2004 Civic sedan.

So without UAS bars, the RA50 has a single UAS belt then, correct? I'm not concerned about lockoffs really, as it wouldn't be going in any vehicle without locking belts (and even if it were, I'm not afraid of locking clips...lol).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's going into a 2004 Civic sedan.

So without UAS bars, the RA50 has a single UAS belt then, correct? I'm not concerned about lockoffs really, as it wouldn't be going in any vehicle without locking belts (and even if it were, I'm not afraid of locking clips...lol).

That's right, a single UAS belt. Same as the Radian really. I would expect installation to be very easy for the RA50 as it wouldn't really be any different than installing a MA aside from only 1 tail to pull instead of 2.

I think in a Civic you wouldn't have a hard time installing a radian more upright. Though whether it would leave room for a front passenger or not I'm not sure.

amyd

That's right, a single UAS belt. Same as the Radian really. I would expect installation to be very easy for the RA50 as it wouldn't really be any different than installing a MA aside from only 1 tail to pull instead of 2.

I think in a Civic you wouldn't have a hard time installing a radian more upright. Though whether it would leave room for a front passenger or not I'm not sure.

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. How would it puzzle with a TF if I needed to put the Radian in the center?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC