Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

NHTSA 2006 Child Safety Seat Ease of Use Ratings

Has anybody seen this listing? What do you think of the results posted? My Marathon only scored a "B", while the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 scored an "A"???

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cssrating/

Criteria for the ratings (from the FAQs):
    • Whether the restraint is pre-assembled or requires assembly after purchase.
    • Clarity of the labeling attached to the restraint.
    • Clarity of the written instructions on the restraint’s proper use.
    • Ease of securing a child correctly in the restraint.
    • Whether the seat has features that make it easier to install in a vehicle.

I guess ease of actual installation doesn't count towards "ease of use"...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: NHTSA 2006 Child Safety Seat Ease of Use Ratings

I know nothing about the EB seat, but I must say, I do find my Roundabout (A grade) easier to install and use than my Marathon. A C for labels, though. I wonder why.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

It must not (installation count towards ease of use)...the cosco caress is utterly impossible for anyone to install in any car, but it got an A.

These ratings come out every year, and most of us scoff at them (the labeling on Britaxes? They follow the FMVSS 213 standards down to the letter, yet get poor ratings by the 'testers'? Is this a prime example of our government's right hand not knowing what it's left hand is doing?)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Fanatic

yet we regard their automotive crash test data as gospel.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

The crash tests are at least done in a controlled environment based on exact criteria. While in need of an update, perhaps, they are mostly objective. The ease-of-use ratings have more subjectivity and don't seem to correlate well with personal experiences from many technicans and parents. I don't think either one is gospel, but the crash tests have the added advantage that their results have correlated to real life fatality statistics.

http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html#cr