Marathon on Plane

ADS

emandbri

2nb64oh.jpg

here is my third son. He was 15 months old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sure will! Piper rode that way until she was over three on planes (don't let them tell you it must be FFing on an American domestic flight. They're wrong and have them get the manual to prove it to themselves).

Might want to put the armrest up. :)

Wendy

twokidstwodogs

Seconding Wendy's point about flight attendants and rearfacing seats. It wouldn't hurt to have a printout of the rules. (I think it's easier to tend to RF kids in a plane anyway. You can see them better.)

doodlebugette

Just to clarify--when you mention the manual, you're referring to the Marathon's manual, correct? My recollection is that the manual has an illustration of a Marathon installed RF in a plane seat and directs you to the instructions for RF installations--is this enough to convince the flight attendants that it's OK?

Also, as far as having a "printout of the rules," what rules are you referring to?

Also, is it correct to assume that there will not be room to recline the Marathon? Is the upright position OK for a 10.5 month old baby?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a 10.5 month old you can't put it FFing anyway. He's not old enough. You install a child on a plane the way you install it in the car, and so in a Marathon you can put him FFing on a plane when he hits 33 pounds or close to it. You should be able to recline it enough. It can touch the seat in front of it. You won't be able to tether it.

No, when I say manual I mean the flight attendant's manual. I wish I'd asked the page number. LOL

Wendy

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Does anyone have experience with Marathons on very small (turboprop) planes? Seatguru.com tells me the seat width is 17" on this particular aircraft.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, but you can put the armrest up. :) They fit wonderfully on anything from a Piper Saratoga six seater up to a Boeing 777 (we've had Piper's Wizard on those and everything inbetween). I have yet to find a plane her seat won't fit in. Avoid bulkhead rows or first class on smaller planes, since the armrests don't go up and you may need the room for either the seat or at least for your hands to get in there.

Wendy

twokidstwodogs

Also, as far as having a "printout of the rules," what rules are you referring to?

I meant the FAA rules, which I thought said that seats should be installed the same way they are in cars. But I am wrong about that. Apparently, they go with weight alone. Here's a brochure:
http://www.airsafe.com/kidsafe/faa_brochure.pdf

If your son is under 20 lbs, then by all means bring this brochure. Otherwise, you could just bring your MA manual. But what I would do is just install it RF, put your son in, and don't say a thing. If anyone asks you about it, say that this is how he rides in the car, and your understanding is that he should ride the same way on a plane as he does in the car. I doubt they will give you a hard time. If the person in front of you complains about not being able to recline his seat, point out that at least there's no way a RF child can kick his seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC