Another "what seat for travel" question...

twinsmom

Yes, that question again:eek:. We will be travelling by air & rental car sometime in early spring. The kids will be almost 5. I assume they will be 40lbs by then since they are just under 40 now. My first thought was a Safeguard Go; but it's so expensive (x2) for use only while travelling - I don't really have need for it otherwise. So, is a booster okay to use? They won't yet be 5. And what booster is best for travelling (high back, of course).

ADS

Evolily

Ride Safer Travel Vests :) They run around $100 a piece, sometimes you can find them cheaper or on swap (or, better yet, you might be able to find someone here to loan you a couple :thumbsup: )

Oh, and in lew of that, I'd probably go with a turbobooster if you think they can hold still. Or maybe the new evenflo generations 65 (it also runs $100 a piece)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's going to depend, at that age, on their ability to sit still. My kid couldn't; perhaps yours could (although parents often find booster behavior is worse when more than one kid is in the car.) I'd test them out before planning on using one.

As for travel boosters I'd probably bring something like a Graco Turbobooster, because it's cheap, and the back detaches. I'd pack the back, well-padded, in my suitcase, and carry on the base (with adjuster strap just in case.) That way if something happens to the suitcase with the back, you still have a booster to use.

I'd also consider the Ride Safer Travel Vest for kids that age who can't sit appropriately in a booster. Yes, it's going to run you $200. But, you can use it in cars without the top tether if necessary, unlike the GO (if you ever ride in a cab or non-rental this may be an issue) and it's much easier to carry than the GO. You could literally stuff both in your carryon, with no issues.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC