7-8 passenger vehicle worth the extra $?

jubgulia

We will be needing a new vehicle soon and just don't know which way to go with this. We will be having a third child next year so we would like something that will accomodate 3 full sized people/carseats in the second row (ie, wider than the Corolla) as well as enough cargo space to hold camping gear, etc. Idealy we would love it to have a fold down third row so we could carry extra passengers when not needing the cargo room, but don't know if it is worth the extra money or if we can afford to have that option. It must be a safe car and have lots of life left in it, but we can't afford anything new.

Here's what I have it narrowed down to so far:
Toyota Sienna (8 passenger) or Volvo xc90 < $15,000
Saturn Vue for probably half the cost of the 7-8 passenger vehicles listed above

Will I regret not having the extra passenger capacity or will I regret paying so much more for it? Please give me your thoughts and any other suggestions. I am open to anything. Thanks!! :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm planning on going for the 8 passenger Sienna when we outgrow our Corolla (next time we have a baby, we'll be out of seats!) We like to pack to capacity (obviously) and we plan on lots of kids, so it's worth it to us. How many kids do you plan on? Do you go on long trips in the car a lot? Bring kids' friends along?

(Just FYI-- it's usually a lot cheaper to buy new seats than a new vehicle; that's how we ended up with 3 in our Corolla...)

Melanie

I personally like having the extra seats available. I bought my van when I was pregnant with #2. We frequently have grandparents with us and I wanted to all fit in one vehicle. I like being able to haul other kids besides my own. Play dates become easier, field trips become easier. I like being the mom that drives the kids...there's a lot you learn about what's really going on with older kids when they are talking to their friends in the back seat.

jubgulia

Thanks for the insights. :) We do go on road trips a lot. We just got back from camping and had the car so jam packed that DH said it's a bigger car and cruise control before the next road trip (next one in a month, but we'll see :rolleyes:). We are pretty sure we are done at 3 kids of our own, but have not ruled out fostering or adoption in the future.

Yeah, I really think we'll go for one of the bigger ones if we can swing it. I also just realized today that when child #3 gets here, we will no longer be able to go anywhere when we babysit nephews/neices or pick anyone up from somewhere. I really like to be available for that sort of thing when the need arises. So I think I would probably regret it if we stuck with a 5 passenger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC