What coat/jacket do I need to get?

charmedmom4

We are from Wisconsin. I need to get a jacket/coat soon for Sarah, that's warm enough and safe to use in carseat. And, buy her new carseat, more likely MyRide65 but really do like . We have Scenera. I hate the cover, it won't stay still and always loose. What about boots? Wear it when walking outside then take it off at the seat? or put towel over the seat, what would you do?

Amy

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd buy a thin fleece for her to wear, then whatever jacket you want. Take the jacket off in the car and put it back on her backwards, or just over her like a blanket, once she's buckled in.

As for boots, we're probably divided halfway between a towel and take them off. Probably those with three or four kids have towels and those with one take them off. :) Whichever you prefer. If you have captain's chairs a t-shirt over the chair may stay on better than a towel (though you can impale the towel with the headrest).

Wendy

my2kidsSafe

we have a llbean 3 and 1. I let dd leave the fleece insert on her and then snap her in and then take the outer layer and put it on backwards. You can see it here.

coat-1.jpg

charmedmom4

Thanks. I like those coveralls. Same here, we do have long winter starting in Oct and finish sometimes in late March or early April.

all together ooky

How old is Sarah? Last year for Nora I had a one piece fleece thing from Lands End (like the above coveralls). This year I'll just have a regular coat, I think, and use blankets over the kids. (The coat isn't worn in the van) I always keep a few blankets in the van during the winter. And let the van warm up before we get in it. Ugh, winter.
I'll probably take Nora's boots off. She'd take them off anyway.

Mommy2Marcus

It never gets extremely cold here, but it does get cold. I always just put a long sleeve cotton shirt on him over a thin undershirt & then put a fleece jacket pullover or zipper style jacket on him. He stays warm enough. I also keep a blanket in the car for if he gets cold.

charmedmom4

I just can't keep the blankets in the van because my other 3 kids will play with it and get it dirty. so, I would have to bring it with me everytime I go out. Also, I can't just go to my van to warm it up then go back because we live in an apt, our parking lot is far from our apt. so, I think coveralls is the best bet for Sarah so that way she can walk with me to the van then I can take her boots off and sit her. And bring a blanket too for more warmth.. Ahh. Gonna love those Wisconsin winter!! By the way, she's 33 months old.. Sarah always take her shoes/sandals off. Grr..

medicmama

CPS Technician
I also do the 1 piece fleece ll bean suits, boots, always come off. Livi hates shoes. I keep a bag by the door that has a blanket,and extra snacks,books for the road. she now drags the bag herself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC