Irony - CR response

ktmo

I find it ironic, that there are people who take the new Consumer Report testing as gospel and would not "put their child at risk" by using anything other then what CR recommended. However, these are the same people that forward-face their child as soon as they reach 1 year and 20 pounds or have their 3 year old in a booster.

Oh, well. Just a thought I was pondering as I read other's reactions on other forums.

Katie

ADS

Shaunam

Yeah, it's crazy, but that's how people respond to the media. If dateline or someone else "serious" did a story on how your child could die if they are forward-facing before 2, you can bet a whole crapload of people would be turning their kids back around! Shock factor is what it is. Like the youtube video of kyle. People saw that, were able to put a face to a name and it was heartbreaking. If they had seen a clip on the 5 o'clock news about how it's important to keep children harnessed, with no picture, and no little boy who died, nobody would have paid attention.

It's unfortunate that we have to shock people into listening, but if that's what it takes...

I'm not talking about the Consumer reports though. I think that was unnecessary shock value.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's not so ironic when you consider that CR recommends forward facing at 1year/20pounds (now 22 pounds).

They published my letter to the editor on this topic in the Consumer Reports July, 2003 issue. Apparently, it didn't make much of an impression. They still say this about Convertible Seats in the "Types of Car Seats" section on their website:

Use these seats rear-facing for infants (follow labeled weight and height limits) and forward-facing when the child is at least 1 year old and 22 pounds.

They need to change their wording to be consistent with the child passenger safety community's recommendations that go back at least 5 years now.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Lol. I guess they should be commended for making some progress in the last 3.5 years!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
See Darren, you're slowly but surely getting through to them. ;) Keep sending those letters and maybe by the time we're all grandparents, CR will get with the program. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC