Where are all the Britax Regents in Madison? Who bought them all?! Why can't I find one?!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
the regent was discontinued a while back, and most all the covers were gone at that point, the only ones left in stock were mostly Sahara. If it's truly, honestly important for you to have a regent (unnecesary for 97% of typical children), then you should buy whatever you can get your hands on, and watch for a used cover on ebay or CL, etc

MonkeyWrangler

I thought that was just a rumor.

Can I ask why the regent isn't any good? My kid is almost 5, 50lbs and 47inches. I thought it was better for her and my car (honda odyssey).

Hmnnnn, maybe I should do another post.

What car seat should I get then?

MonkeyWrangler

I know the frontiers are supposed to be great, but I remember that the fit is better in an odyssey with the regent. I might just have to get the cheap (and ugly) regent in sahara. Maybe I should look into it again.

MonkeyWrangler

Really! That is good to know. I covered my bases and ordered a regent from target.com. Got an extra 10% off so total shipped was 177. If I find a better solution I will return it. I really wanted a girly print for my girl, but it might not happen.

When I get a chance I will look into the frontiers. I know it's a good seat but it looks so ugly.

another derail-what are the benefits of the frontier?

thanks for letting me know about the odyssey, funny you just installed it.....

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Can I ask why the regent isn't any good? My kid is almost 5, 50lbs and 47inches. I thought it was better for her and my car (honda odyssey).

It's not that the Regent is no good -- it's a fine seat, if a bit difficult to use -- it's that most physically and developmentally typical kids just don't need to be harnessed to 80 pounds.

MonkeyWrangler

Chickabiddy: I know they don't have to but just about anyone agrees that it is safer. Plus my kid is really uncomfortable in her (temporary) parkway. We'll see-I need to revisit this whole thing again, maybe I can find a better booster. I'd prefer to keep her in the 5pt though and once that regent is installed, it's not going anywhere.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Chickabiddy: I know they don't have to but just about anyone agrees that it is safer. Plus my kid is really uncomfortable in her (temporary) parkway. We'll see-I need to revisit this whole thing again, maybe I can find a better booster. I'd prefer to keep her in the 5pt though and once that regent is installed, it's not going anywhere.

Actually, NO, that is completely untrue. In fact, some people, like, the entire country of Sweden, think it's massively LESS safe to harness forward facing at that size, due to increased neck loads, so they go straight to a booster seat.
i'm not arguing against a regent. What we're just trying to say is that it's probably unecesary for most kids.
now, for kids with special needs, tone issues, mental or physical challenges, etc, then yes, a regent or even a special needs seat might be the best option. but there is NO EVIDENCE that a neurotypical 50 lb 5 year old who can stay seated correctly in a booster, is safer in a harnessed seat. that evidence just doen't exist. now - if the child can't stay seated, jas poor impulse control, or again, physical or mental issues which would make sitting uprght in a booster seat difficult or impossible, then yes, there is a clear-cut better choice, and that is a harness. but otherwise....the answer isn't clear cut.

am i still choosing to harness MY 5-next-week child? Yep, yep, i am. but I can't in good conscience say it's proven to be safer, because it just isn't.

(makes me feel better though ;))

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Chickabiddy: I know they don't have to but just about anyone agrees that it is safer.

No, we don't. Not for physically and developmentally typical kids towards the top end of the Regent. There is nothing wrong with harnessing bigger/older kids, but there is no evidence that it is safer.

MonkeyWrangler

jeez-the way everyone here goes on and on about the 5pt harness being the best I guess I got brainwashed? I will have to look into it further.

So what is the best booster then? We have a parkway that was until recently just a 'extra' seat but now is being used full time and is not comfortable like her old marathon. Is a full backed booster better?

I appreciate all your thoughts, I really do. It would be great if we moved to a booster, but I still would need a new booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is best to keep a kid harnessed until s/he is of appropriate age, size, and maturity to use a booster properly. For most kids, that's somewhere between age five and six -- which means that they probably need to be harnessed beyond the average 40-pound convertible, but not all the way to 80 pounds in a Regent.

If you are looking at boosters, a 5yo should definitely be in a highbacked booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC