How on earth do you get enough rep?

jeminijad

I am really interested in child passenger safety. I will be taking the CPS course in the somewhat near future. I have long lurked on this board, and finally joined in July. It took me all of 6 posts to get all of my questions answered.. I use the search function to answer most of them.

I can't exactly "help" other newbies with any authority, when there are a bajillion techs, senior members, etc around... certainly I would, if someone posted something unique to a seat I own that I could actually enrich the conversation...

So how do I get repped, and enough posts, to be able to view some of the private areas? It isn't like I am looking to just bash deathtrap Ebay listings- sometimes more senior members answer questions with links to threads I can't access!

What am I missing? Should I be chiming in to threads just to get my post count up?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
certainly I would, if someone posted something unique to a seat I own that I could actually enrich the conversation...

This is a great way to start! Also, feel free to chime in and ask questions. You don't have to actually need help for yourself to ask questions. :) You can ask questions about other people's replies, even.

zactayaus

You can even chime in about whether or not you like a new color or pattern on a seat that someone has started a thread about in car seat chat. If you find a good deal on a car seat, stroller, or any other type of gear you can start a thread in the deal and shopping forum. That type of thing gets your post count up.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep reading and you'll absorb a lot of info. When you see a question you know the answer to, speak up.

Even if you're not positive, but you THINK you know the answer, take a stab at it. (You might want to preface it with, "I'm not positive, but..." just in case.) People take notice when others make an effort.

Pixels

Enabling your rep might help!

Even with rep disabled, a user can receive rep that others give. It just isn't shown to all the other users.

But yeah, with rep disabled, I might think you just don't care about it and not bother clicking on the scales. :eek: It would probably happen on a post I was wishy-washy on repping anyway, that would be enough to push me over to "no rep."

Blondie87

Well there's a thread somewhere that says how long you gotta be on here, how many posts, and how much rep, to get into the Community Member Coffee Break Forum. Then more requirements for Senior Community Forum.

I don't remember what it took to get into Community... I just remember clicking "New Posts" one day, and a whole new world had opened up on here. But it doesn't take too long. :)

But just post on whatever thread you can put input into. And like a previous poster said... just say "I'm not positive, but..." You'll get rep for different advice you give, or new covers or something you bring to the board's attention.. etc.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
:yeahthat: to what everyone else has said already, lol. I, too, find it difficult sometimes to respond to posts because someone else has already responded with the correct answer and really, there's no need to boost my post count. But if you have an opinion on a particular cover or how it fits in your vehicle or how your child likes a restraint, by all means, go for it!

Members have access to the Community Member Coffee Break after 30 days, so you should be seeing that forum by now. The announcement at the top of this forum contains a link for how to gain access to the Tech Forum once you've completed your tech class. Other than that, just sit back and wait for the other fun forum to magically appear ;).

jeminijad

Errr... How do I enable rep? I am off to figure that out, now. I also don't have access to the Coffee Break yet, so if anyone has insight on that, speak up!

I really appreciate the responses. Helped a lot.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Errr... How do I enable rep? I am off to figure that out, now.

Your rep is already enabled. :thumbsup: See that little green square under your name? That represents your reputation points. The more points you gain, the more green boxes you'll get. If you hover over the squares with your mouse, you'll also see a fun description of each person based on their rep. Yours says you're a "car-seat.org cub writer."

NannyMom

30 days, 10 posts, and 10 rep points :).

One of the best ways to get rep is to give rep, so go look for some good posts and click away (5 a day, I think?). Also, clicking the Thanks thumb will put your name out there as rep-worthy.

Oh, the thanks thumb is new!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
One of the best ways to get rep is to give rep, so go look for some good posts and click away (5 a day, I think?).

I believe it changed with the new forum update. You can now give rep three times a day, and you have to leave rep for five other people before you can leave rep for a specific user again.

BigDaddy

I am really interested in child passenger safety. I will be taking the CPS course in the somewhat near future. I have long lurked on this board, and finally joined in July. It took me all of 6 posts to get all of my questions answered.. I use the search function to answer most of them.

I can't exactly "help" other newbies with any authority, when there are a bajillion techs, senior members, etc around... certainly I would, if someone posted something unique to a seat I own that I could actually enrich the conversation...

So how do I get repped, and enough posts, to be able to view some of the private areas? It isn't like I am looking to just bash deathtrap Ebay listings- sometimes more senior members answer questions with links to threads I can't access!

What am I missing? Should I be chiming in to threads just to get my post count up?
Don't worry about post count or rep. Just put yourself out there, talk to people, help when you can, and have a good time. Everyone will see you trying to be a part of the community, and will welcome you. The posts and rep will come naturally, and faster than you think. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I believe it changed with the new forum update. You can now give rep three times a day, and you have to leave rep for five other people before you can leave rep for a specific user again.
Aw man, only 3 a day, that's a bummer...oh well, the thumbs will be just as fun, I'm sure :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC