Will a Radian work in my '96 Civic (same design as '96-2000 Civic)

JamRowZ

I was trying to search to see if a Radian will work in my '96 Civic. The '96 Civic is the same design as the '96-2000 Civics. DH thinks of course it will since all carseats are "universal".

I will need RFing at first, but eventually FF and I don't see getting a new car before DS hits the RFing weight limit (40 lbs).

I prefer a center install if it doesn't interfere with the drivers seat going all the way back.

I read on one thread that center install ONLY works with Dorel seats because of the hump. We have a Dorel Eddie Bauer 3 in1 in the center now RFing but our 22 month old is at the weight limit for RFing (35 lbs) and I want to RF him longer. He only has 1.25 inches of headroom in a MyRide and I don't really like the CompleteAir which is super expensive and he loves his Radian65 in DH's car (new enough to RF to 40 lbs).

I read on another thread that the Radian can't be outboard in a Civic FFing because of something related to the seatbelt placement which wasn't clear. I also read that the top tether is too short to go under headrests, but the '96 doesn't have headrests. It's likely that my top tether location is farther back though in the earlier model Civic.

Another thread on three across in a civic suggested that with seatbelt a Radian can FF or RF in any position.

I don't love losing the front passenger seat, but could if that's the only way to get a good RFing install. I presume the Radian comes with a locking clip (although I don't have the one that came with our other Radian since that's installed with LATCH and I can't remember where we put it. Our shoulder belts lock when pulled all the way out and retracted, but tend to pull carseats at an angle without a locking clip.

I guess our other option is to just FF our 22 month old in the Eddie Bauer and revisit the issue when he hits 40 lbs which will probably be well before he's old enough for a booster.

I'm happy to have a tech help with the install. It's taken multiple experienced techs 30+ minutes to get any other carseat in well so I'm not sure if I will be able to tell by trying DH's Radian in the '96 Civic.

I also don't want to try it in the center because I don't want to spend 30+ minutes trying to get a good reinstall of the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 for use until we actually get the Radian.

Thanks!

ADS

JamRowZ

I'm replying to my own post for the sake of others. I installed it both FFing and RFing on the passenger side in the Civic without removing our current Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 (which got in the way slightly RFing).

RFing the top of the car seat touched, but didn't brace against the head rest of the front seat when the front seat was as far forward as it goes. I had a bit of wiggle room at the base, but believe that with help to get the seatbelt tighter and a locking clip, I could get a tight install.

I could see how older Radians with the wider foot might have interfered with the seatbelts though. Perhaps that's why others have reported a problem. I also imagine on adult might have to put all their weight on the seat while another strong adult or two pulls on the seat belt which is an issue for any seat we've tried in this car and makes me afraid to actually install a seat without help in this car.

FFing (without optional FF recline) I got a rock solid install that perfectly hugged the seat. This was the easiest install I've done and for what it's worth, it actually fit next to a RFing Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 in the middle which surprised me. They just sandwiched together well. I had a hard time tightening the Radian with the 3 in 1 there and I imagine the Radian would have to go in first for that setup.

The Radian gave my son a lot more RFing leg room and is slightly more reclined than the Eddie Bauer seat.

I hope it will fit in the middle RFing so I don't lose the front seat, but I'm willing to take the chance since I know I can't reinstall the current seat myself. I can attempt to post an update once we get it with whether the center hump interferes.

Now to convince DH it's worth $189 to RF DS longer.

Please do respond if you know something I don't about why this seat won't work in our '96 Civic.

mburks26

in a 96 you shouldnt have to use a locking clip. The lap shoulder belts should lock pull all the way out and let them retract in. I have a 95 civic 2 door that dont lock I need the locking clip.
As far as the Radian install I have no idea.

JamRowZ

The shoulder belt will lock, but the shoulder belt cocks car seats at weird angles if it's tight without the locking clip. The locking clip lets me make sure the shoulder belt and lap belt meet where they enter the carseat.

abacus2

The shoulder belt will lock, but the shoulder belt cocks car seats at weird angles if it's tight without the locking clip. The locking clip lets me make sure the shoulder belt and lap belt meet where they enter the carseat.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, this is the incorrect place for the locking clip. The only safe way to use a locking clip is on the buckle side of the carseat. You can solve the tipping problem by using the locking clip on the buckle side and not locking the shoulder belt.

JamRowZ

If I'm understanding your description correctly, this is the incorrect place for the locking clip. The only safe way to use a locking clip is on the buckle side of the carseat. You can solve the tipping problem by using the locking clip on the buckle side and not locking the shoulder belt.

Should I then be concerned about a certain toddler pulling the shoulder belt out more and loosening things up or will the locking clip prevent that?

I can't seem to picture how it would work on the buckle side. Either way my plan is to have a tech install it (hopefully in the middle which negates the locking clip issue).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The locking clip locks the belt at the buckle, so you leave the shoulder unlocked. The concern then, if a toddler plays with the belt, is that they can get it around their necks.

The Radian manual should have instructions on how to use the locking clip properly. You need it within 1" of the buckle. Ok, looked it up. It's on page 37 of the manual.

Have you tried it without the locking clip? The Radian is pretty heavy and is not prone to tipping.

A tech should teach you how to install it, not just install it. And I'd try to find someone from the board. Your run of the mill fire or police CPST, if they're actually certified and up to date, have likely never seen a Radian, and it's got enough quirks that you want someone experienced with it.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

Wendy

JamRowZ

I tried it without the locking clip with our Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 still in place (since I'm afraid to remove that). I definitely cocked the seat at an angle when I tried to tighten up the seat belt AND I could still move the base of the seat around quite a bit.

I don't think there would be enough strap left for my toddler to get the shoulder strap around his neck!

I just don't understand how anyone could ever get a tight install to stay tight if the seatbelt isn't locked. Even by locking it and trying to get it to retract as far as possible, it wasn't tight. I assume it's an issue with any seatbelt install with a lap/shoulder belt and trained techs can do a better job.

I guess I started this thread since the local store I was planning to buy from doesn't take returns on carseats (although I'm leaning toward saving sales tax and buying online from someplace that will take returns).

I know I can't get a good install of any carseat anywhere in this car. I guess I'm wondering if anyone can from what you said.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian has quirks, but it's likely you can get it tight.

When I install a seat with a lap and shoulder belt I make sure I pull the shoulder belt after it's been locked at the buckle. And I feed the shoulder belt all the way back into the retractor. It's important that you get the lap belt tight, since that's what's doing the holding. So I lock the belt and pull the shoulder belt at the buckle while adding weight to the seat. That means the lap belt is tight, compression has been added, and it normally works. Occasionally I have to twist the buckle stalk down so the buckle isn't right at the edge of the belt path.

Why won't you uninstall the 3 in 1? It sounds like it's in the way of the Radian, so I wouldn't discount the Radian until you know how it will install in all positions. The lap belt only may work much better for you.

Wendy

JamRowZ

I won't uninstall the 3 in 1 because the three times it's been installed all took multiple techs 30+ minutes to get a good install and we went without a carseat in my car at all for 2 weeks the last time we removed it (to clean it after ds vomited in it). Since I'm now taking him to day care in the morning in my car, I can't chance being without a carseat before we get the new Radian.

I was borrowing the Radian from dh's car to do the test, but I can't leave it in my car because dh does pickup.

I was stressing because the local store that sells them doesn't allow returns. I realized that the deals are the same online without the sales tax and easier returns so I think I'm convinced it will work and take the chance of an online return.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC