Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

True Fit install

Ok, my husband will kill me if this seat doesn't fit in his truck. Has anyone tried installing the TF in the backseat of an extended cab Dodge Ram? Please tell me it works with really upright seat backs.

Katie, momma to Kayleigh 5/9/2006 and Samantha 5/8/2012

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: True Fit install

Are you looking at the original TF or the TF Premier? and you are installing RF or FF?

If the original, and your're installing RF, I'd think that really upright seat backs will increase the likliehood of the harness adjuster being inaccessible. Are the seat backs very flat as well as upright? Or do they have a nice contour to them? If they are very flat I'd consider the Premier instead.

I'm talking about the original TF, installed FF. The truck is a 97 Ram 1500 extended cab (2 door). And yes, the seats are pretty flat.

I ordered this off w00t this morning and dh will be very unhappy if I end up with another seat that won't work in his truck.

Does anyone know if you have to use the top tether? The truck doesn't have any anchors and I'm not sure if they can be installed. Can someone look that up for me?

Well then I'm no help to you at all since I haven't installed one FF yet and in Canada, the top tether is required so I can't speak for if it is in the U.S. Sorry! I'm sure someone more knowledgable on FF installs with the TF will chime in!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I don't know about the fit, but a top tether is not required. Encouraged, but not required.

I can get the part numbers in a bit if someone else hasn't by then. Hubby is sleeping in the room with my LATCH manual.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Your hubby sleeps with the LATCH manual?

JK, I know what you mean.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Turns out the pepto pink book is staring at me from the coffee table. LOL I thought I had brought it upstairs last night, but I guess not.

Ok, 1997 Dodge Ram. Call Chrysler and ask for the dealer to refer to Technical Service Bulletin 23-029-098. They'll install some tethers in some vehicles for free is what that bulletin says.

I've been known to sleep with the LATCH manual before.... But I think that's a lot less weird for a member of c-s.org Borg than for the spouse. LOL

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Thank you Wendy!