Convertible recommendation for a civic?

Sage72380

My DD is currently 4 months, 12 lbs 15 oz, and 24 in. She's riding in a snugride and will until she hits 22 lbs or is too long for the seat.

We're looking into a convertible car seat. I drive a 2000 4 door civic. DH drives a 2006 4 door civic. We would have her in the center as she's our first child, but I'd want to be able to move her to the side when we have another - and possibly eventually fit 3 across, but maybe that's a pipe dream and certainly it's a ways off.

Does anyone know if the Boulevard will fit well in a Civic? Is there another car seat I should consider? We would like to keep her rear facing as long as possible of course.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Our Wizard (previous generation of Boulevard) fit in my husband's 2000 Porsche 911 RFing. I would assume it fits in a Civic. I'm trying to think if I ever installed my daughter's Wizard RFing in my mom's 2006 Civic. I think I only did it FFing. There would be room for it, though. The back seat is rather flat in the 2006, so I don't think a center installation would be a problem.

I don't know about the 2000.

Wendy

Ali

We test drove a 2006 Civic. I installed our RF MA very easily in center and outboard in the back seat! No problems and it looked easy to tether!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't have any with the Wizard. Here's one of her in her Advantage, though. Not a great shot.

12150308.jpg

We stuffed her in some small cars. hehe Here she is RFing in her Advantage in a Mercedes A class we rented in the UK.

11080303.jpg

It would have been tight, but a HWH seat could fit there, especially if we put her behind the passenger.

11060302.jpg

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
In my 2006 Civic, I have successfully installed several different convertibles.

The Britax Marathon and Boulevard (same shell, so they are the same for installation) both easily install in the Civic. In my experience, seatbelt installation in the center or outboard is a bit easier than LATCH installation outboard. The LATCH anchors are not easy to access, which makes LATCH installation outboard a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

The Britax Roundabout also installs beautifully.

The Sunshine Kids Radian also installs fairly well in the 2006 Civic, but I have only had success installing it outboard (passenger side) due to the length of it RF.

The Cosco Scenera was a bit more difficult to install than the Britax seats, but it also installed well.

The Graco ComfortSport installs fairly easily as well, but it is not a seat that most of us here recommend to most people.

Best of luck!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I will try to get some photos of the Boulevard in my 2006 Civic. It is my mother's seat, so I have to borrow it from her before I can take photos, but I will try.

If I am able to borrow her seat sometime in the next few days, I will take pictures of it in both outboard positions and in the center. I will take pictures of it with both seatbelt and LATCH installations outboard and seatbelt installation in the center.

vatechgrad

I used to drive a 2000 4 dr civic. I would say the britax seats should fit fine. I had an EB3-in-1 seat and had it in the middle. I don't think I could've put it outboard and still driven due to not being able to brace it. But since you can brace the britax against the seat in front of it they should fit with no problem.

Janet

Sage72380

Thanks for all of the replies. I know that the best seat for you is the one that fits your car and your child best. I didn't want to buy a huge expensive car seat with high reviews that would be too much in my small car or for my tiny DD. I'm glad to hear that the Britax models fit in 4 door civics. I have heard so many good things about these seats.

At what point should I move her from the snugride? When she out grows it, or is there a point when the Britax Blvd would be safer for her even though she still fits in the snugride?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks for all of the replies. I know that the best seat for you is the one that fits your car and your child best. I didn't want to buy a huge expensive car seat with high reviews that would be too much in my small car or for my tiny DD. I'm glad to hear that the Britax models fit in 4 door civics. I have heard so many good things about these seats.

At what point should I move her from the snugride? When she out grows it, or is there a point when the Britax Blvd would be safer for her even though she still fits in the snugride?

Personally, I would leave her in the SnugRide until she is getting too big for it. THEN buy the Boulevard. That would hopefully get you a newer Boulevard, which means you will be able to use it longer.

The Boulevard is a fantastic seat, but its lowest harness setting is still pretty high for a little baby. Leaving your baby in the Snugride as long as possible will give her time to grow so that she will better fit in the Boulevard.

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I installed a blvd in a 2 door civic I had to twist the belt path a full three times but got a great install! in the middle

Clarissa

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I installed a blvd in a 2 door civic I had to twist the belt path a full three times but got a great install! in the middle

Clarissa

Do you know what year Civic that was?

I haven't had any problems getting a rock-solid center install using the seatbelt. It has been checked by a tech, too. Rock-solid. That was in my 2006 Civic.

That's strange that there would be such a difference. :confused:

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
an older model I would say an 01 or 99 I am a tech it was the only way I could get rock solid instal without the buckle being in the belt path and thats a big britax no no

Clarissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC