Question 2 year old in infant only "baby carrier" bucket car seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tinabina1212

I have a friend who is stll using her travel system infant only car seat for her 2 year old. The baby is bigger than the car seat. She is not a big baby, mabye average hight and weight. She seems to think it is safer. Is this dangerous? She still uses it exclusivly even carring her around in it after she gets some where. I think she saw all the stuff about staying rear facing and just figure she would keep using the same seat. Do any of the "bucket" travel systems even go up past 20 lbs? Let me know. Everyone keeps commenting but no one wants to say anything to her and hurt her feelings. But heaven forbid she gets into an accident I do not want to see the baby hurt.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It depends what seat she has. I don't think any stop at 20 pounds anymore. The small ones stop at 22 pounds, some go to 30, one goes to 32, and one goes to 35 (though she would have had to have bought those last two recently).

If he has more than an inch above his head he fits by height.

What is safe is a seat that he fits in rear facing. If she's got a 30 pound seat and he's got more than an inch above his head, and he's only 27 pounds now, then he's just fine in it. If he's over the weight limit, or has less than 1" above his head, she'd be better off by far with a rear facing convertible. If his head is too high he's at risk for whiplash (and on the initial collision, not the rebound like most of us), and if he's too heavy he's at risk of ejection as the harness rips out.

Wendy

Shaunam

It depends on the seat and the kid. My almost 2 year old can still fit in the graco safe seat and I use it all the time. If the child is under the weight limit and has at least 1" of shell above her head, it's safe.

You can see my DD in it in my siggy. That's how a 2 year old can still be safe in a bucket (she's right about at the height limit). However, if her head is farther up than that, or over the weight limit, it is not safe at all and she should move her to a convertible right away, preferably still rear-facing.

NannyMom

I agree with the PPs. It depends on the seat and the child. I have the Graco Safe Seat 1 that goes up to 30 pounds, and is a big carrier. My daughter outgrew it height wise when she was about 2.5 and 27 pounds. No way I'd carry her in it though, I barely carry my 20 pound 8 month old in the seat.

Shaunam

No way I'd carry her in it though, I barely carry my 20 pound 8 month old in the seat.

Oh no kidding. DD is 20 lbs and it is a huge pain in the butt to carry her in it. I would never do it with a typical kiddo, but because she can't sit, it just makes sense. SO awkward though!

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
My nearly 2 year old still fits in our SS1 and we still use it once in a while but I never carry her in it and she only 20 pounds!

PHaley

my friends 18 month old fits the same in our SS1...well actually she has MORE room than my dgs at 7 months, so I put dgs in the MA and let my friend borrow the SS1 to use (should last 6-12+ months) as she welcomes a new baby... main idea being if they both fall asleep she can move them without one waking the other! lol and if friends & fam want to take dd off her hands the SS1 is super easy to install w/ or w/o the base.

So to answer op question yes I'd see a 2 yr old in a bucket "infant" seat as long as they fit weight wise and have min 1" above their head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC