Darren or others I have a IIHS ?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
When will IIHS or Informed For Life do their crash testing on the new "07 models? For example the Saturn Outlook?

We test drove one today and fell in love with it. It has all the safety features (standard side curtains on all 3 rows & ESC). We are still a year out but have started our hunt.

Just wondering when they will start testing the newly released '07 models as this model is just hitting the dealers this month.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm also wondering about this for the Outlook, and also the Saturn Aura. Darren likely knows way more about the timing for crash tests. From what I've gathered, I don't think the IIHS has any set schedule or timing for testing brand new models. It's more a matter of when the manufacturer submits the vehicle for the IIHS's next round of testing for the vehicle's category, whenever that may happen. Informed for Life does not actually conduct crash tests as I understand it, but inputs government and IIHS crash test results into the spreadsheet to assign the model a score.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That is correct, Informed For Life does no tests whatsoever, they just compile results and other data.

The IIHS can take years to get around to a particular class of vehicles. I have emailed them in the past and if the class has been scheduled they usually have sent me a response indicating a rough estimate of when the results may be released.

As in the case of the Ford Freestyle, a manufacturer can request a "rush" for a single model, but they also would have to reimburse the IIHS for the cost of the vehicle.

I haven't seen an Outlook in person, but they look very sharp from the pictures.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
That is correct, Informed For Life does no tests whatsoever, they just compile results and other data.

The IIHS can take years to get around to a particular class of vehicles. I have emailed them in the past and if the class has been scheduled they usually have sent me a response indicating a rough estimate of when the results may be released.

As in the case of the Ford Freestyle, a manufacturer can request a "rush" for a single model, but they also would have to reimburse the IIHS for the cost of the vehicle.

I haven't seen an Outlook in person, but they look very sharp from the pictures.

It drove like a gem and handled really good. I do need to take our carseats (MA, Regent & Parkway) up there and test them out in it to make sure they fit good. I do need to figure out the headrests. The sales guy didn't know if they were removable or not. They had just gotten the Outlook (their very 1st one) the night before so he hadn't had a chance to play with it. But, Said he would find out so when I bring the carseats in I could play with them.

It has l/s in all seating positions but the centers don't have headrests. But, I will say they are narrow center positions. It does have top tethers in a three 2nd row positions and then center on the 3rd row. The sales guy said it has LATCH in all positions in the 2nd row but only found hooks for the outboard positions. It didn't have the manual in the vehicle so I couldn't check if it allowed the use of the outboard hooks for center or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC