Lovinwaves/other Odyssey owners

steph

Hey guys -

I never thought I would say this but I am actually considering a Honda Odyssey!!!!:eek:

We went to the Honda Dealer to buy the Pilot and I started looking at the Odyssey and then drove one!!! It drove awesome and it was very luxurious!! While I don't particularly care for the look of the Odyssey and I will definately have people telling me "I told you so" (since I swore I would never drive a minivan) - I want to know if you fall more in love with it when you drive it? I mean were you anti-minivan before the Ody?

Tell me all - good and bad!!!

ADS

lovinwaves

Well Steph, I really can't say anything bad about it. When you factor in the safety, and all the wonderful "hidden secrets" of it you just can't go wrong. Safety was extremely the main reason DH and I were running to Honda and Toyota. I had a hard time parting with my Toyota 4-Runner (I literally balled at the dealership when we traded it in), but after taking the Odyssey home that night I knew I had made the right decision. If you still don't like the looks of it, then maybe try looking at all of the different color options it comes in. I personally am partial to the Black and Silver colors. Honda seems to have rounded up every American Mother AND Father and said "What do you want in a vehicle", and voila the Odyssey keeps getting better every year.

I have said this before and I will say it again...I get many many compliments on my Odyssey. Some people are minivan people and some people aren't, but the Honda Odyssey definitely closes that gap for many. Dh being my hardest critic of vehicles was extremely impressed with the Odyssey in every aspect. We were very happy with the valve shut off system which gives the Odyssey the best gas mileage minivan (only available on EX-L and Touring Models). I know Honda has finally added some great safety features and convenience features that my '05 does not have. Which would be great for you if you are purchasing brand new.

Ok do you want me to keep going, 'cause I can........... LOL LOL :D

tchrgrrl

I wasn't anti-minivan but I was amazed at how comfy the Odyssey was and how nice it drove. All past tense since it got smooshed in a SIC last month - and thank God for the Odyssey - it really did its job of protecting my family!

As for falling more in love with it over time - absolutely - there are tons of little extras you just don't realize how much you NEED until you are driving it day in and day out.

I have been considering other vans to replace my Odyssey for reasons of economy but nothing really compares to the Odyssey for luxury, extras and ride.

steph

We are looking at the color Nimbus Grey - very nice and makes it really "richer" looking. And yes we are looking at the EX-L so it has that ECO for saving on gas. I really want the touring but I think I would regret not getting the 8th seat.

So right now it is between a 07 Honda Pilot EX-L with Navigation or a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Navigation/DVD - the price is really similar so that isn't a factor and safety is pretty close (The Pilot being in the top 5% and the Odyssey the top 3% on informedforlife.org), so basically it comes down to function and appearance. Oh the decisions!!!!

Steph

Oh can you get a Britax BV or MA on the 2nd row center seat or a Keyfit for that matter? I was wondering since you don't really have a middle seat in the Odyssey if the sides aren't as safe in Side Impact or does the safety of a minivan outweigh the whole being in the center? Just wondering since I prefer Ryan being in the center right.

lovinwaves

Oh can you get a Britax BV or MA on the 2nd row center seat or a Keyfit for that matter? I was wondering since you don't really have a middle seat in the Odyssey if the sides aren't as safe in Side Impact or does the safety of a minivan outweigh the whole being in the center? Just wondering since I prefer Ryan being in the center right.

Well, Steph I just helped a lady with this same issue. What you would want to do is remove that "Eighth stow away" seat and very easily slide the passenger side captains chair to the middle, and voila you have a very safe middle seat for your son.

Here is the thread in case you missed it: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9624

steph

Thanks!!!

Are the rear facing tether points not obvious? I know on my Pilot it was hard but I found some via help from another Mom.

So can you get a carseat on the second row center seat? I had already thought about stowing the center seat and sliding the other over to the middle....:)

lovinwaves

Thanks!!!

Are the rear facing tether points not obvious? I know on my Pilot it was hard but I found some via help from another Mom.

So can you get a carseat on the second row center seat? I had already thought about stowing the center seat and sliding the other over to the middle....:)

I wouldn't recommend it. I have done it, but I wouldn't say it was a satisfactory install. Also you will not have LATCH or Top tether usage there. If I get outside tomorrow I will see if I can install my marathon rear-facing on that seat again and let you know how it goes. Maybe CPSDarren has already tried? I would just slide that captains chair over and do it that way. ;)

As far as an obvious tether point, No, there isn't one. It is kind of tricky to find it....

Last edited:

twokidstwodogs

Okay, DH drives the minivan in our family, so perhaps I'm not really in a position to comment on this. But we do love our 05 Odyssey. The power sliding doors are a big deal in our small garage, and we like having ready access to the third row when we're traveling or when we need to transport more than four people. The third row is both accessible and comfortable for adults. It's also great for road trips. We took a 2500 mile round trip in it last year to visit family. It was winter, so being able to use the third row to nurse the baby and change her diaper at stops without having to get out of the car was awesome. This may be TMI, but when my older daughter was potty training, it was also pretty easy to use the travel potty in the car. I just like the fact that you can move about within the vehicle. I love being able to buckle kids into seats in rainstorms without actually having to stand out in the rain!

The Odyssey has loads of convenience features for people with kids. I'm sure the Pilot does too, but it's hard to come up with much that they didn't think of (besides an easy RF tether location for the passenger side captain's chair!)

lovinwaves

LOL!! I am on Central time. So it is midnight right now!

Anyways, yeah I forgot to mention that when we test drove the Odyssey I made sure to ride in the third row on a bumpy road, and it handled and felt wonderful. The third row is actually very comfortable for anybody. I have had two adults back there many times and they have all made a point to say how incredibly smooth and roomy is was back there.

We also have a small garage so the sliding doors are a must, especially since the Odyssey is so wide.

ccjones

Steph,
I am anti-minivan as well, but DH and I test-drove the Ody while I was at the Honda Dealership just for the hell of it. It wasn't actually too bad...for a minivan! LOL Seriously, if I was planning on having another kid or two, I definitely would have bought the Ody, simply because I wouldn't feel like doing three across in the Pilot, or having to fold one side of the 2nd row forward to get a kid into the third row for each trip. But, my body can't tolerate another pregnancy so it's only 1 kid for us! The Pilot works fine for the three of us, plus our black lab and great dane (who will have to ride in the Pilot until DH's new 4-door Wrangler gets delivered in March).

BTW, I got a 2007 Nimbus Gray 4WD Pilot EX-L! I have a portable Garmin GPS, so I didn't need the Navigation System, but I was tempted to get the DVD. We decided to pass since DS is gonna be RF for a LOOONG time and wouldn't be able to see the screen! LOL

Colleen

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My main complaint about the Odyssey is the tire/road noise. It's not so bad around town or on most asphalt, but it gets very loud at highway speeds on concrete. It can get pretty tiring on long trips.

My review might help:

http://www.epinions.com/content_208641101444

You may already know this, but the Pilot also comes with the VCM engine on the 2WD models. This may not save much fuel around town, but you might get an extra mpg or two on the highway.

We've had only one problem in the 1 year we've had it. When I took it in for an oil change last month I mentioned that there was a noise in the steering when it got cold. They ended up replacing the power steering pump system. A number of other owners at Odyclub have had a similar issue. Funny thing was, the noise was barely audible; my wife never even noticed. I was sure the dealer would say "could not reproduce problem."

I don't think you can go wrong with either model. If you are open to minivans, also check out the Sienna and Sedona.

lovinwaves

Darren, I can agree with you on the tire and road noise, but coming from an SUV I think the Odyssey is pretty decent as far as road noise goes.LOL I think the Sienna is going to be quieter in general, but they both don't do that bad of a job. I know we both have '05's, but are they still having a road noise issue with the newer models?

Also I am wondering Darren if you have a Touring Model? The Touring Model uses a different kind of tire called the PAX system. Could that also effect the amount of road noise made audible in the interior? Have you heard anything about that? Actually, that PAX system is another reason we did not want the Touring Model. While I throughly enjoy the conveniences of the DVD and Nav, the price that they charge is extremely expensive compared to what we could pay to install that ourselves. Just my opinion.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Mine is a 2006 EX-L and I doubt any thing was changed for 2007 in this regard, either. For comparison, I drove a Toyota Highlander and Sienna and both were notably quieter on concrete at highway speeds.

It's not bad, mind you, but it is about my only remaining complaint. It's certainly worth an extended test drive on the highway to see if it bothers you. Maybe it can be improved with better tires and some soundproofing in the wheel wells, I don't know..

steph

Well I got a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with Navigation!!! Silver/with grey interior!!!
We bought it today and got one heck of a deal!!!

I'll post pics with the BV in it once I get it installed.

lovinwaves

Well I got a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with Navigation!!! Silver/with grey interior!!!

OH Steph, a big Congrats to you!!!! That's awesome you guys got such a great deal too!! Yes post some pix when you can!!! :D

ccjones

Congrats! Did you get the Billet Silver Metallic or the Nimbus Gray? And did you buy or lease this time around?

ETA: Did you get XM Radio free for a year? I'm trying to figure out if it was a Honda promotion or a dealership promotion.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC