Question eddie bauer 3in1 install in toyota 4runner?

1sttimemom

hi! can anyone help me w/install issues in an 07 toyota 4 runner (latest body style)? first off, i don't understand the single latch in the middle. i currently have a snugride in the middle and use that latch and the closest latch from the passenger side seat w/a hand towel folded underneath and it's a pretty good fit. i am trying to get a good fit w/the eddie bauer 3in1. i don't know if it's the vehicle or the car seat or me or if they just don't work together! when keeping the eddie bauer seat level according to the lines on the side, it has a huge gap underneath and it's really reclined. owner's manual shows the lines have to be level w/the ground. and it says some "play" is fine. the picture looks just like i have the seat installed. does this sound right? i tried the middle where there is only one latch w/the side seat latch, then i tried the side seat which has 2 latches and it made no difference, still moves around a lot and isn't even remotely secure, able to move almost sideways! i also put this seat in our corolla just to see and it was a little better but still moved around. i tried to attach pics but too high resolution, won't accept them.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
How old is your child? As long as the kiddo has decent head control, you don't need a 45* angle.

I don't believe Toyota allows the use of center LATCH, so you'll need to use the seatbelt in the center, or move it outboard to use LATCh.

Maedze

You need to immediately discontinue use of LATCH to install your seatbelt.

The middle position in your vehicle is only equipped with a top tether, which is for forward facing seats. The seats must be installed with the SEATBELT.

You can upload the pictures to a photo sharing site like photobucket to share them :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can try taking off the base, that often helps with that seat. You'll need a rolled towel or pool noodles to get recline, but it will be easier to tighten (and you quite possibly need the towel or noodles even with the base in the Corolla at least-- I did. And not a full 45 degree recline either!)

You cannot "borrow" LATCH in Toyotas. If you want to use LATCH, you must put it outboard, if you want it center you must use the seatbelt.

When using LATCH on that seat, I pull the strap back through the belt path and up under the cover, then pull in toward the middle of the seat to tighten it more easily.

TheNimpsGirl

I'm not a tech but having swore my way through installing one a few times :whistle: I found that I had to use a tightly rolled towel because even 3 pool noodles wasn't working. Taking the base off made the gap even bigger so I think I left it on. It also helped to push down on the seat with my knee (I know techs are only suppose to use their hands but I just couldn't push down enough) and pull as hard as I could on the belt. I also lifted up the cover so I could access the belt path easier.

1sttimemom

thanks for the info! i switched my snugride to the seat belt in the middle. the reason i don't like that is because i feel like the shoulder belt makes the car seat tip to the side. do you know what i mean? i tried the eddie bauer 3in1 (which i'll be switching to in a couple weeks) w/the seat belt and a rolled bath towel and got a better fit, but there is still about 2 inches of play. don't feel comfortable w/that. also the owner's manual says it absolutely has to be level which means it is reclined like i said. my baby is 1 yr old and about 19 lbs.

Maedze

thanks for the info! i switched my snugride to the seat belt in the middle. the reason i don't like that is because i feel like the shoulder belt makes the car seat tip to the side. do you know what i mean? i tried the eddie bauer 3in1 (which i'll be switching to in a couple weeks) w/the seat belt and a rolled bath towel and got a better fit, but there is still about 2 inches of play. don't feel comfortable w/that. also the owner's manual says it absolutely has to be level which means it is reclined like i said. my baby is 1 yr old and about 19 lbs.

To resolve the tippiness, instead of engaging the locking mechanism in the seatbelt, use the locking clip that comes with the child restraint. It should be less of a problem with a convertible, although not necessarily.

The 45 degree thing is NOT a crash safety factor for the seat. It is a concession to the weakness of a newborn's neck. Older children are safer with the seat installed more upright. You can install a child restraint up to thirty degrees upright.

TheNimpsGirl

....but there is still about 2 inches of play. don't feel comfortable w/that.

How are you testing for movement? If you use your nondominent hand and try to move the seat back and forth at the belt path (so where the seat belt comes out and clicks in) there should be less than 1" of movement. I know that it took a LOT to push down and pull the seat belt by myself and had to have DH help. Without his help I also got more than 1" of movement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC