Anyone have back trouble from loading and unloading kids?

Raegansmom4

So my lower back has been bugging me (I have thought I've been sleeping in a bad position), but it really "seizes up"/spasms when I'm loading my 28 lb 17 mo rfing in her MR. I got to thinking how much harder it is to get her in the MR than her old MA. Then I got to thinking about how high the profile is on the MR. Now I'm really, really wishing I got a Radian. What's Target's return policy lol? Anyone else have back issues from car seat loading?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ya. We load a recalcitrant, rear-facing dead-weight of a 16 month old into a Britax Boulevard, in the center of the car, and to access it we have to lean OVER a rear- or forward-facing Radian installed outboard.
Our current seat setup:
2akaeiq.jpg

We are in constant pain. ;) (But it's slightly better this way than it was leaning over rear-facing kids to get the forward-facer buckled when she was in the middle, and getting kicked, pinched, and punched because we leaned over her sister, or trying to do it with a 3 year old trying to climb up our backs as we leaned over...)

monstah

Yup. I have lower back problems and I have to pass a KF30 over DS who is FF in a Radian. It stinks, but my only other option would be to turn DD1 FF in the center - that isn't going to happen.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Time for some stomach muscle exercise (strong abs prevent back pain) and teaching that kiddo to climb :)

And yeah, I love the Radian (and even the Marathon, and likely even the Complete Air) for this reason, it's sooooo loooooow... :eek:

2BunniesMommy

Ouch I can see how that could be a problem. I think the MA is easier to reach than the MR, but had the benefit when we had a MR that DD was big enough to get in it herself, so I just had to do the harness. When she was in the cernter, at that time she had a DC, I would get in the car and sit next to her to get her in. To those with 3 across, huge kudos! I don't know how you do it, it would be so hard for me to reach the one in the center, no matter what direction any seat is facing. Our van has a 2 seater bench in the middle, so if we do have a #3 someday, I am pretty sure there will be one in the back and 2 in middle row, so no 3 across here.

Sorry, not any help for you, just rambling....

rochelle

If your MR is rearfacing center with the GN outboard, you can try carrying your 17mth old, seating on the empty outboard seat and than putting your 17mth old in the MR.

It help lessen the back pain for me alot when loading my than very heavy DS1.

Mommy2Marcus

I taught my DS to climb into his own seat around 18-19 months old. He has been doing it every since. I would start working with him/her to start trying. He now can climb into the car & into his own seat. He has been able to do this since he was about 20 months old. He was climbing into an EFTA for the longest, so it can be done!

ETA: I have a tiny little 2 door car & it was really hard for me to put him into his seat on a daily basis. It was also killing my back, so it was nessicary to teach him to climb in on his own!

fyrfightermomma

Yep especially now pregnant. My oldest JUST learned how to climb in herself. My younger one still can't climb in her Radian in our minivan. Her little legs are just too short! She can climb in in DH's car (also Radian) but she's rarely in there. WHen DD was in the MR for a month or so it was awful! It was manuvering 30 lbs of dead weight into a small space to cram her over the sides of the MR. I don't miss it one bit! I'm hoping by the time baby comes she'll be able to climb in herself.

I DREAD 3 across in DH's car. Cause someone has to go in the middle and no matter what it sucks to buckle that kid.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I taught my DS to climb into his own seat around 18-19 months old. He has been doing it every since. I would start working with him/her to start trying. He now can climb into the car & into his own seat. He has been able to do this since he was about 20 months old. He was climbing into an EFTA for the longest, so it can be done!

ETA: I have a tiny little 2 door car & it was really hard for me to put him into his seat on a daily basis. It was also killing my back, so it was nessicary to teach him to climb in on his own!

Oh, our 16 month old climbs in. To her sister's seat. And grins at us. And then we have to fight her to get her into her own! :rolleyes: (She doesn't complain if we put her in the BV-- much-- but she much prefers the RN. It used to be hers, until it was rated to 40 lbs. RF and her 37 lb. sister turned back around!)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Oh, our 16 month old climbs in. To her sister's seat. And grins at us. And then we have to fight her to get her into her own! :rolleyes: (She doesn't complain if we put her in the BV-- much-- but she much prefers the RN. It used to be hers, until it was rated to 40 lbs. RF and her 37 lb. sister turned back around!)

:D
DS does that..he'll hunker down in dd's nauti or frontier, giggling like mad! Such a sillybutt!

One thing we did for a while was to put a little step stool in the car, so the little could climb into her own seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC