Beco a torture device??

cpsaddict

I'll try DD on my back and see how the waist strap hits me. Crossing the straps in the back was not good for me, but all the moms on DS that have one say they love the cross strap thing. Maybe it's because I have a very short torso and a large bust. When the straps are crossed, it honestly feels a lot like the Bjorn.

ADS

cpsaddict

Oh, good point! The Bjorn (active back) killed my shoulder with DS2 at only 3 mths and 13 lbs!

Yeah, I have the Active Bjorn. I tried it on my back and just put the waist where I normally do and it was fine, but DD is so not ready for a back carry.
Ok, these are not great, but here are some pics:
DSCN0185.jpg

See how she pulls the back down? She is too floppy and wiggly.

DSCN0182.jpg

DD's favorite position. I personally like her facing me, but she is so much happier this way.

Please excuse my messy house. That's what happens when DH stays home while I work. :eek:

Last edited:

ontariomama

When I got my Pikkolo, they told me that you are supposed to wear it at your natural waist, not on your hips. I like him on my back higher, so he can see what's going on :) That's approx where I wear him on my front too. I cross the straps when he is on my front. Very comfy for me... but the beauty of these carriers is that you can tailor them to fit YOU comfortably.

The Ergo is to be worn on your hips. I find the Pikkolo comfy where I wear it, but I'm thinking that I'll probably get the waist belt support thingy as DS gets heavier. It's supposed to distribute the weight more on your hips.

I think that it will look a bit different on everybody, depending on their torsos, etc. Mine is pretty long. Like car seats, lol.

A great website that got me interested in either the Pikkolo or the Beco is www.theportablebaby.com There are lots of great info and pictures there.

Does this help??

seamonkeys

Ok, I saw the Pikkolo in a store last week. They only had one for people to try but they don't sell them.

So I was not impressed with it at all. There's no way I could cross those straps around my back while holding DD on my front!

zactayaus

Ok, I saw the Pikkolo in a store last week. They only had one for people to try but they don't sell them.

So I was not impressed with it at all. There's no way I could cross those straps around my back while holding DD on my front!

Go for the beco. I just put mine on like I would a shirt, click the waist belt, slide baby in, and then just two clicks to secure baby. Super easy.;) I can put it on myself and have baby in it in about a minute.

solmama

We have a Beco (pony express) 4th gen. My ds, at 39ish" and 34 lbs still fits in it, easily. It's his favorite carrier-he calls it his "cow carrier." And, because it's more masculine, dh wears him more often than I do. It will last you a good long while, so it's worth the investment, right?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I've been looking everywhere for a Pony Express and haven't found one. I was going to buy an Ergo but I was just tallking to a lady at the fair with an Ergo and with the baby on the front, the straps were right up under her arms, and I absolutely cannot stand anything in my armpit. :eek:

seamonkeys

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about selling my Ergo and trying a Beco. But I can't decide if I should get the Butterfly. I hear you can't just toss them on your back like you can with the 4th generation ones. You have to put them in on the front then slide around you. DD is small, so I'm wondering if that might actually be nice.

Ugh, I just don't want to get one and then regret it. I played around with the Ergo today and got it a little more comfy on the front, but the side straps push on my boobs. Don't remember where the Beco one hit when I tried it.

seamonkeys

I've been looking everywhere for a Pony Express and haven't found one. I was going to buy an Ergo but I was just tallking to a lady at the fair with an Ergo and with the baby on the front, the straps were right up under her arms, and I absolutely cannot stand anything in my armpit. :eek:
Yeah! That's the problem I'm having. I tightened the chest clip on my back and it helped a little, but I'm not sure.

zactayaus

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about selling my Ergo and trying a Beco. But I can't decide if I should get the Butterfly. I hear you can't just toss them on your back like you can with the 4th generation ones. You have to put them in on the front then slide around you. DD is small, so I'm wondering if that might actually be nice.

I have a butterfly and yes you can just put kiddo in it and then put them on your back like a back pack no problem.

seamonkeys

I have a butterfly and yes you can just put kiddo in it and then put them on your back like a back pack no problem.
I would have to get used to that. I'm used to the Ergo - put it on the back with one arm in, then bounce baby around to your back. Or once they're bigger, just let it hang behind you, toss baby on the back and then pull it over you.

Oh, do you have Butterfly 1 or 2?

cpsaddict

On the Pikkolo, I have no idea why anyone would want to cross the straps. It's not comfy at all. I use the chest strap, just like an Ergo or Beco. Much better and no underarm rub. I just got the waist belt thing ad it pretty much turns it into an Ergo with the ability to face baby out.

oxeye

I can't get comfy with the Beco on my back. I tried it a couple times and the weight was just distrubuted all wrong. Could I be doing it wrong?

LOVE it as a front carrier but eventually Teddy is going to get too big so I should figure out the back thing.

hsjwmom

Roxie, you really have to play with the strap length, both the shoulder ones AND the other ones. This is epecially true if you're moving it between a front and back carry. It takes a bit of adjusting, but once you get it, the back carry is AWESOME!

seamonkeys

Roxie, you really have to play with the strap length, both the shoulder ones AND the other ones. This is epecially true if you're moving it between a front and back carry. It takes a bit of adjusting, but once you get it, the back carry is AWESOME!

Thanks for this info! I'm going to be getting one, but have only tried it on my front since DD is so small. I'll keep that in mind once I go for the back! :thumbsup:

oxeye

Okay cool - I'll have to play around with it then. I hate adjusting those top ones. That would make it hard to switch from front to back on a whim.

Love the front carry, though. I went grocery shopping this morning with him in it and you can almost forget that you are wearing a baby. :)

hsjwmom

Once you get comfortable wearing him on your back, you probably won't want to switch back and forth all that often. :)

I generally only wear dd on my front if she's not feeling well, or if it is only going to be a quick trip. (I love kissing on the top of her head when she's on my front :love:)If it's going to be a quick trip, I'm less likely to adjust the straps. Once I get the top straps adjusted for the back, I RARELY mess with them. They are a bit of a pain for me to get just right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC