Help-which seat- Nautilus or TF?

grenouille

I'm new here, and have found this site to be full of great info/advice, so here is my dilemma:

DS is 34 months, 32 lbs, 34" (yes, he's small!)
DD is 10 months, 18 lbs, 28" (yes, she's small too!)

We have two vehicles, a Malibu and a Cobalt.
DS is currently FF in two MA.
DD is in her SnugRide.

Now, we need two new car seats.
Do I get a TF (probably won't be able to wait until the ARB one is avail.) for DD and leave DS in his MA?
Or do I get the Nautilus for DS, and put DD rf in the two MA?

Both kids are short/light so I don't think they'll be outgrowing anything super fast. In fact, I think DD could probably make it to at least 2yrs rf in the MA.

Ideas or other suggestions?
(btw- we loooove our MAs!!) :)

ADS

featherhead

What year is your Malibu? I have an '03 Malibu and the Radian installs very nicely. Rear-facing it goes in at around a 35-40 degree angle, so it's perfect for an older baby or toddler. I also have an Evenflo Triumph Advance which also installs very nicely.

It would make the most sense to get a forward-facing only seat, since you already have a convertible that could be used for the baby. But of course, it's up to you. If you love your Marathons that much, you could go with more of those if you want.

I love my Radian, so if it were me, I would get some Radian XTs. They will last a little longer rear-facing (you could even rear-face your DS for a little longer if you wanted to).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Since you already have 2 seats that RF then I think I would be inclined to go with a seat that is FF and then converts to a booster as it will elminate the need to buy another seat in the future for one of them.

Just because your kids are short doesn't mean that they won't outgrow their seats. A FF seat is outgrown when any of the following are met:
~shoulders are above the top slot
~weight limit is met
~ ears reach the top of the seat

Children are all different. My average DS outgrew his seats very early because of his long torso. He outgrew his snugride at 8mths while my above average in height DD doesn't have a long torso, is all legs and still fits in her sngride at 16mths. She is still in the first slots of the MA.

Try each of them out in the seats that you are interested in and see how they fit. Remember they will fit differently in the seats in the store then when they are installed in your vehicle.

Here is a thread of some of the most popular seats and how they compare with each other in regards to top harness slots so you can get an idea. Pictures are included.

Ducky5306

Since you already have 2 seats that RF then I think I would be inclined to go with a seat that is FF and then converts to a booster as it will elminate the need to buy another seat in the future for one of them.

Just because your kids are short doesn't mean that they won't outgrow their seats. A FF seat is outgrown when any of the following are met:
~shoulders are above the top slot
~weight limit is met
~ ears reach the top of the seat

Children are all different. My average DS outgrew his seats very early because of his long torso. He outgrew his snugride at 8mths while my above average in height DD doesn't have a long torso, is all legs and still fits in her sngride at 16mths. She is still in the first slots of the MA.

Try each of them out in the seats that you are interested in and see how they fit. Remember they will fit differently in the seats in the store then when they are installed in your vehicle.

Here is a thread of some of the most popular seats and how they compare with each other in regards to top harness slots so you can get an idea. Pictures are included.

I agree it depends so much on the child, my ds is 3yrs 3mo and still has about 3+ inches of torso growth room in his MA and he just finished a growth spurt! he is average height for his age but he is all legs! *Just noticed you are in CAN but i think the MAs are the same as in the US right? here is a pic of my ds at 3yr 2mo in his MA
IMG_0231.jpg

Misty-Bug

how much time do you have left on your MA's? If they don't expire for a while I would look in to a FFing only seat for your son. Then use the MA for your daughter.

grenouille

Thanks for the input!

Our malibu is an 04, and we were pretty happy with the rf setup of the MA.
Our DOM for the MAs are 2007, so they'd be good to rf DD for at least a few years.

The issues that I'm still debating:

a) Is it worth getting the TF for the extra 5 lbs rf?

b) Our MAs have a rf height limit of 32", which from everything I've read around here, could be "disregarded" if there's still 1" of shell above the head.

The prices for the Nautilus and TF are the same (unless the TF is on sale) and I just can't justify spending another $600 for two more MA.

I don't know much about the Radian seats- I"ll have to check them out. Any suggestions on where to see them in person? (I'm in Ottawa)

That's my next step - take a trip to a local store to try them out with the kids.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

jujumum

Since your MAs only rf to 30lb, I would recommend 2 TFs. I just bought one for my 3 year old and she fits fabulously ff with tons of room to grow (she is tall at 41.5").

When your dd outgrows the MAs rf at 30lbs, then she can use the TF for the extra 5lbs rf and your ds can move to boosters. I totally think it is worth it for this extra rf time, and since your children are petite, you might not need a 40lb rf seat.

:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC