monterey booster

U

Unregistered

my DCP has the carseats in her car that is suited for all her kids that she cares for. my son will be in a monterey. he is almost 4 years old and 43lbs 40". i feel comfortable with this as he is very mature and we tried a booster for short trips over the last month and i am very confident in his ability to be safe.

i too am very happy with the booster choice she made. the monterey is a great seat.

my only question is that some other parents are really razzing me about the fact it isn't legal to ride in a booster and giving me some serious mommy guilt. some are saying "even when used correctly the booster is way less safe then being harnessed"

can anyone shed some light ont his for me.

using another carseat isn't an option but finding a new DCP would be a last resort.

ADS

Maedze

Unfortunately in this case, although their information is a little off, your friends are on the right track :eek:

A three year old, even an older three year old, simply does not have any business being in a booster. Ever. For any reason short of the apocolypse. (ok, so I'm exaggerating. Maybe a zombie invasion?)

The Monterey is a very nice booster, but it doesn't fit younger booster riders well.

For a younger booster ride, a seat like the Graco Turbobooster or the Recaro Vivo is a better choice, however, I am not recommending either of these for your child.

For the exact same price as the Monterey, you can find a higher weight harnessed seat that will be MUCH safer for your child :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Agreed. A 3y 40# child probably shouldn't be in a booster at all, but if he is, the Monterey isn't a great choice. Why is another carseat not an option?

U

Unregistered

thanks everyone! i will have another discussion with the DCP.

the biggest reason for not getting another seat is that she drops my son off at preschool and picks up a huge 5 year old (68lbs) from morning kindergarten so she would have to switch carseats to accomodate him. she just doesn't seem willing when in her opinion she is well with in the law.

Maedze

What's the seat situation in her car? How many seating positions does she have available? Perhaps there is a solution that would keep your child safe but won't overly inconvenience the DCP.

U

Unregistered

she has 2 radians RF. she has 3 seats in back and she puts her 12 year old in the front.

i am going to talk to her tommorrow. thanks for the input. i will keep you posted. i appreciate the input.

U

Unregistered

i talked to DCP with my concerns and as long as i am willing to provide an easy to install seat then she will switch seats out. i mentioned the need for my DS to be the safest possible and maybe that meant changing DCP's. she then quickly changed her tune.

thanks for reinterating what i already knew. i think some people just need to be educated on carseat safety. she is one of them.

Maedze

I think you made the right decision :thumbsup:

If you were to get an Alpha Omega Elite, take the base off and install it forward facing, that would likely come in and out pretty easily particularly if it's a seat belt install. (the new alpha omegas have a 50 lb weight limit on the harness).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC