Help choosing a carseat for a 1 year old please

momto2princes

My neice just turned one and they are looking for a new seat (kind of tradition the child gets their new convertible seat as their first birthday gift).

Her stats are:
1 year old
Height 33"
Weight 27.5lbs
Torso 12"

They drive a QX56 and the seat is the middle row captains chair on the passenger side.

She is going to continue to RF without question. Her parents are tall (Dad is 6'2" and Mom is 5'11") and her older sisters are tall so it is in her genes to grow quickly!

I am leaning towards showing her the Radian XT in Malibu!!
Price is no issue Mom likes the Advocate which we will probably look at but if there is a better seat for less maybe Roundabout50?...... I don't think Mom will like the TrueFit.

Suggestions based on stats as to which one might be the best fit?

Thanks,

I am going to see them on Sunday and we are going shopping for the new seat together.

Last edited:
ADS

canadiangie

I'm having a foreign highend automaker duh moment, is a QX56 made by Infiniti? (a la highend Nissan Armada?) :confused:

She'll need a tall shell, and a rf limit of at least 35lbs. I have come to really like the TF, so that would be my first suggestion. After that, maybe the RA50?

But really, the TrueFit would be my first suggestion for a child with her stats. ETA: the RadianXT would also be a good choice.

HTH's

April

Why do you think she won't like the True Fit? She could get two TFs in Monet for $100 less than an Advocate and it would last longer both FF and RF. It would last as long as a Radian as well.

momto2princes

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason I don't think she would like the TrueFit is the harness adjuster pain while RF. I want her (Mom) to keep her(daughter) rear facing for as long as possible and if it is difficult to use she might not use it right get frustrated and turn her FF.

It is on my list to show her for sure and let her be the judge. She is also the type that thinks because you spend more on it it must be better so I think she might be deterred by the price point. Sad I know.

April

Well then maybe the XT. The problem with the Britax convertables is that they have very little leg room for bigger RF'ers, in comparion to the TF and Radian. Or maybe even the CA? Its out Sept 1st IIRC.

momto2princes

Can anyone offer any more suggestions or assistance. I want to be as prepared as possible for tomorrow.

Options (need to RF to 35lbs)
-Advocate
-Roundabout 50
-TrueFit
-Radian XT

or wait until September and look at the Complete Air?

Those are the choices, right?

can you put them in the order you would be most inclined to recommend.

canadiangie

Based on my opinion, and not at all meant to be a measure of what seat is "safest", "best", or otherwise "better", here is my list... as in, if I had to put your list in an order that suits my needs, this is it:

Sunshine Kids Radian XT
The First Years TrueFit
Britax Roundabout 50
Britax Advocate

What will work best for your SIL's child (?) may be completely different. :)

FWIW, no, I would not wait until September for the Complete Air.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Word for the wise,

RN XT will not fit ffing in the 2nd row outboard Captains chair once she has to switch from LATCH to seat belt.The buckle is fixed, rigid, and forward of the bight too far for the RN.

LATCH limit is 48# though, and many tall children will outgrow it by height before 48# anyway. It is a super easy seat belt install 2nd row center.

I would find the outboard incompatibility a problem personally, I'd just move it to the center when I got to that point.

momto2princes

Well we decided on the XT.

Her vehicle is an Infiniti QX56. It installed rock solid rear facing without too much effort at all using latch. Lots of space didn't have to worry about the front passenger seat at all. Decent more upright recline 35-40 degrees (12 month old) to without a struggle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC