Question Removing the armrests on my AOE

Wy`sMom

I have an Eddie Bauer AOE (1.5 years old) and a newer Truefit. I can fit them both RFing side by side in the back of my '06 Honda Ridgeline. I have the Truefit in the middle and the AOE outboard driver side. They fit fine except for the arms on the AOE. They seem to be the only part that hits the TF. When I close the back door I have to push to get it closed and it causes the TF to lean a bit to the passenger side. If I could remove the stupid armrests (that never get used anyway) then the problem would be eliminated. Is this allowed?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not in the least, as far as I know. They play an important role when the seat is used as a booster.

Generally not a good idea to go and remove parts of your seat that come attached. :)

What happens if you install the AOE without the base? Does that change the height enough? Or conversely, install it with the base? Why can the seats not be installed both outboard?

Wendy

Wy`sMom

I will never use this seat as a booster as I have heard too many times that it isn't the best. I don't want to install them both outboard as the AOE only gets installed sometimes when I am going out with a friend and her little girl. The TF centre install is our main seat. If I take off the base the seat doesn't fit at all. It just won't fit behind the driver seat and the arm rest seems to be in a worse position.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unless there are directions in your manual on how to remove the armrests in harness mode, I'd reinstall the TF outboard when you need to have both seats back there so they'll both fit. I wouldn't remove parts of a seat to make it fit. It also sounds like you have unsafe installations since they don't sound independent at all (ie, the AOE is tight on its own, not just because it's between the TF and door).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC