NYC with a toddler!

ohiomommy08

We are planning to go to NYC for Thanksgiving to see the parade! Our daughter will be 19 months old at that time.

We originally were planning to stay in New Jersey and take the train into the city, but we have decided to splurge and stay in Midtown Manhattan, a few blocks from Central Park. (we'll be driving and parking there.) We have a nice backpack carrier that we will be planning on using most of the time, but will also have her stroller along. We think we will be able to walk to almost everything, but we are planning to get Transit passes so we can go on the buses and subway when needed.

My main question is what do you think of riding the subway and buses with DD in the backpack carrier and/or stroller. Is one safer than the other. If we backpack her, should we actually carry her in our arms when we're on public transportation or can we just leave her in the backpack? Would a stroller be really bulky and inconvenient? Benefits one way or another?

We're getting really excited for the trip and I just wanted to check out this safety detail early on! Thanks!

Any tips on visiting NYC would be welcome too!!

Thanks!

Laurie

ADS

mamabear

Sounds fun!!

All my NYC visits have been sans kids, but I can tell you that on the subway, EVERYONE just brings the kids on in the stroller, or they sit on the seat next to the parent. I try to walk pretty much everywhere. If you plan on a lot of walking, definitely bring a stroller (something compact) because having a kid on your back will really cut into the day:twocents:

I hope someone else can chime in about taxis. Taxi rides can be downright scary in NYC (my driver went on the sidewalk once to go around another car:rolleyes:)

I, personally, would want a carseat for the taxi because the things the drivers do freak me out.Although in traffic you go at a snails pace, I'm sure it's safer than freeway driving, I'd love to see some statistics. For me, I would do mostly walking and subway:twocents:

How are you getting from the airport to the hotel? Are you bringing a carseat?? For sure install it for the ride into the City. There is a long Taxi line when you come out and it moves fast. If this sounds intimidating for installing a seat, Maybe check into getting a towncar, they aren't in such a rush. You can also call town cars for planned trips within the city and they will pick you up, I would be more into doing that VS. hailing a cab with a kid. try 777-7777, they were always reliable when I needed car service. Your doorman at the Hotel should be able to help y0u too.(ETA I just re read you'll be driving your own car to the hotel, but all of this still applies if you plan on going somewhere by car in the City, I wouldn't try to drive and park my own car in NYC)

The area you are staying is pretty close to everything, My company used to have an apartment I stayed in 3 times a year near W56th and 7th. The park is close, the subway is close( NR train at 57th and 7th if you are stayng on the West side to go downtown, Stop at Prince street for SoHo shopping!!), 5th Ave shopping is close. Times square is a little trek, but a straight shot. None of these thing required a cab.

Last edited:

LEAW

My friend and I did NYC with our kids at 16 months. We took one stroller between us (mostly for hauling water, diaper bags, snacks) and both our kids rode in Ergos on our backs.

Just be careful going through turnstiles and entering trains, if your toddler leans over to see where you are going (mine did) it's really easy to thwack their heads.

It wasn't difficult to use the stroller on the trains, we just found it easier to have the kids strapped to us. The kids seemed to enjoy being up higher to see what was going on too. In a stroller you're at butt height, no fun!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Strollers are fine in NYC. If you have a smaller, easy to fold one (like a Maclaren Volo) that will be easier to work with than a larger bulky one.

For the parade, though, I'd leave it at your hotel. It will be mobbed. You'll be better off with your dd in the back carrier then.

And look for us! Myself, ds (4) and my parents are spending the night before in the city and will be at the parade. Ds's first time. Then we're driving back to CT for an evening turkey dinner. (Gotta love my dh, he's going to take care of starting dinner prep!) :D

ohiomommy08

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, we are driving and parking at the hotel and will be avoiding taxis unless absolutely necessary and then we'll get her carseat out of the van to use. Mostly we'll be hitting the pavement and hoping for good weather! We are staying at 57th & 9th, so it sounds like we'll be close to everything.

We were definitely planning to do the carrier for the parade and we'll see what happens on the other days. Does anyone know if the buses and subways are wheelchair accessible (just wheel her in) or will we have to take her out and carry her and fold up the stroller and carry it onto the subway/bus? Does anyone know an easy way to get from midtown down to Ground Zero area/Brooklyn Bridge? Or should we just try to drive past that on our way out of the city? We're planning to do Ellis/Liberty on our way into the city on Wed morning (park on Jersey side) and then get to our hotel downtown after that.

Thanks again - any other tips?

Laurie

CTPDMom - have fun at the parade - we are so excited!! Where are you staying?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Some of the subways are handicapped accessible, but you would be better off folding the stroller up and just walking up/down the stairs. You can then open the stroller back up on the platform if you want. Check the subway map for trains as I don't remember what trains run down there. We pass ground zero every time we leave Broolyn as we take the battery tunnel and go out through the city since there is no toll leaving the city. We usually go through Jersey/Staten Island to get there, though.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You're going to want to remove dd from the stroller and fold it up for the stairs to the subway like the pp said. Same for getting on the buses, fold up the stroller. That's one of the reasons for not wanting to have a bulky stroller.

(That said, though, *I* am going to have to bring ds, a Maclaren Volo, an overnight bag AND a Graco Nautilus on a luggage cart with me on the train from CT when I go in. THAT will be fun! LOL)

We're staying at the Manhattan Club, 56th and 7th. You'll only be 3 blocks from us! :D

Oh, and don't forget that they start blowing up the helium balloons (the big parade ones) after 5pm the night before. We will be heading down to watch that for a while after dinner!

ginny4

havne't done NYC yet but have done Boston & used their transportation. i bought the Maclaren Volo JUST FOR this trip. it was SO SO SO NICE to be able to maneuver easily thru crowds & the easy to fold & carry was GOD SEND for stairs & subways. i've used bulky strollers in the past that where a PITA. people appreciated if you can fold up your stroller as it takes minimal room in a subway. some weren't as crowded & i could just use the stroller to roll DS on & off.

mamabear

Does anyone know an easy way to get from midtown down to Ground Zero area/Brooklyn Bridge?

I don't remember exactly. I went to ground zero a couple of months after Sept. 11th. It was still covered in ashes ans smokey. It was after a long day of walking, and getting dark. I recall walking and walking and walking to get there. I'm sure there is a better way. (Like a close subway stop)

My BEST advice....get a subway map. A really easy to read one with all of the trains color lines ans stops clearly legible. It will save.your.life.

But also, don't be afraid to ask people. Everyone is generally very helpful in that department.If a local sees you on the subway looking at the map in a confused manner, they'll probably pipe in and ask you where you want to go and help you out. The whole thing about New Yorkers being mean and scary is a myth. NO nonsense, yes, but mean, not much:p

ohiomommy08

Thanks for all the tips! We're planning to use the backpack on parade day for sure and we are able to borrow a Maclaren from a friend to use on the trip. We have a Graco Quattro Tour which we love, but it's huge! The Mac should be much easier - I'm not sure which model it is - are they all pretty light and fold small/easily? Just curious.

We're hoping for good weather so we can walk everywhere, but we'll probably try to take the subway down to Ground Zero/Brooklyn bridge area.

Thanks again!

Laurie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC