Do you spread the word at baby showers?

jeminijad

Just thinking...

Do any of you ever tuck info on ERF, or any type of car seat safety, in with gifts at a baby shower? I suppose it might be wierd if you weren't purchasing a car seat for the mother to be...

Is this overly forward or tacky in some way? I found the info myself when DD was a tiny newborn, but I have a shower coming up soon and I just can't help but try and figure out ways to bring up/share the information.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. Not unless I'm helping install the seat. There's so much that's going on then that giving information is like pouring it down the drain. They won't retain it. Better to give that information a year later, when the time is right.

Wendy

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I do. Not AT the shower, but after seeing the soon-to-be mama's registry.

Generally I'll call or e-mail and tell her about expiration dates, encouraging her to wait on a convertible and just leave the carrier on the registry. Mentioning how new seats are being introduced and old seats are being reworked and that she'll want the 'latest and greatest' when the time comes, not one that is already a year old.

At that point I generally mention new weight limits 'For example Susie, there are now 3 seats on the market with 40lb rf'ing limits. That's so awesome to see because of the recommendation from the AAP to stay rear-facing as long as possible.' Something like that. I don't go into anything negative, no 'internal decapitation', etc. Just put the bug there, and make it so I'm open to her for suggestions for convertibles when she's ready.

If she's chosen a rear-adjustor I'll mention that might be difficult to keep properly adjusted and give some similar cost alternates when possible. I also talk briefly about weight limits on the carrier they've chosen and to keep it in mind, along with how to tell if a seat is outgrown by height.

And if there's a Bundle Me on there I mention that too.

I also do this for people who call my office for a car seat check. When they make their infant carrier appt I'll give them some of this info. Will it all stick? No. But some of it might. And if it's delivered to them properly they will, hopefully, seek me out in 6 mos or a year or whenever they're ready for a convertible and I'll be able to go over it all again.

I can tell you that I have alot of success with getting people to ERF when I give them the info EARLY rather than after they've already made the decision to turn them or already have turned them. :twocents:

vonfirmath

If someone had tucked a pamphlet for their favorite subject into your baby shower gift, would you have read it? Did you read all the Gerber life insurance, Cord Blood, etc. pamphlets you got in every baby bag?

Mommypooh

I have sent info in the congratulations card just a small bit and tell them to call me if they want to talk further. I have had both my cousins talk to me about it. We will see what happens when it comes time for the first birthday. I will say I got both of them not to use the bundle me or car seat mats or after market head rests. They were so Thankful that I told them about it. So I think it can be include but should be a small blurbe and where to find more info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC