Spare booster seat-help?

mom2boys

I have a 6.5 year old son who weighs 43 lbs. and is 45" tall. I have him in a Britax Regent in our main car and he is on the second to the top strap right now. We use my DH's car occassionally and I need to get a booster seat for this car. Because this is a spare seat that isn't used much, I don't want to spend a lot of money but I want a booster seat that will last us many more years because in IL he has to be in a car seat until he's 59" and 80 lbs, which may be a long time from now based on how he eats. I'd like to buy this one seat and have it be our spare seat for him until he grows out of a car seat. I have a Frontier and Regent in our main car (DS2 is 3.5 years old) and a Regent as one spare seat for DS2. I was thinking a backless booster is my best option to get him through til he's 80 lbs. I've been looking at the Clek Olli and I'm leaning towards it because it is always latched to the car, but I am having a hard time justifying spending $90 for a backless booster when I see so many in the store for much less (I admit I know nothing about boosters options though). Your thoughts? TIA

ADS

Maedze

Hi and great questions :)

At 6, your son needs a high back booster, not a backless booster (those are more appropriate for older kids who have outgrown the backs on their boosters).

Budget friendly boosters that will fit a six year old well include the Graco Turbobooster and the Recaro Vivo.

If you buy the Turbobooster, be SURE to put the screws in the armrests!

I know you mentioned the law for a state and I want to be sure that you understand that, regardless of the state you are in, you keep your child in a booster until he's large enough to ride safely without one. Really large kids sometimes fit in a seatbelt safely at eight years old. And some kids need a booster until they 11 or 12. There is no law in any state that reflects 'best practice', so as long as you follow best practice, you will be exceeding the requirements of the laws in every state.

mom2boys

^Thanks! I didn't realize he wasn't a good fit for a backless at this point, so I'm rethinking my strategy. I'd definitely like to keep him in a car seat as long as possible, regardless of state laws for sure. I'd ideally keep him in a 5 pt harness even for a spare seat, but the Nautilus doesn't fit him (he can't sit all the way back) and the Frontier is too expensive for a spare seat at this point. In looking quickly boosters with a back, I was thinking the Sunshine Kids Monterey is nice because it converts to a backless booster when he is much older if we need it to. I like the cupholders and the fact that the seat is angled to prevent slipage. The Britax Parkway Safeguard seems to be popular but it doesn't convert to a backless booster which I'd like to use if he outgrows the back part prior to being safe enough to ride in a seatbelt. Is the Monterey the most versatile, long term option for us (Given I check it out and make sure it fits him well as I know not all car seats fit every kid properly)?

Maedze

A booster for a child his age is extremely safe :) You don't need to worry about a harnessed seat.

Also the Parkway SlideGuard does convert to a backless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC