Questions about booster readiness and best boosters

Karine88

Hi!

I have a little girl who is turning 5 this week and have a few questions about the next seat I should purchase for her, as well as her readiness for booster.

She is a little small for her age, just hitting the 40 lbs mark now (more like 39lbs, but depending if she had a big meal, could be 40 LOL). She is just at 40 inches.

1) I have been looking at the Frontier and the Nautilus seats. I would prefer to keep her harnessed and those seats seem like very good options, seeing as they would convert to a booster when the time comes. Any preference between the two? I like that the Frontier is latchable...
-Which one will she be able to use longer in harnessed mode?
-When would she be ready for booster mode? She is very mature for her age, and I don't think she would move the seatbelf or not sit still... but she does tend to fall asleep on longer drives...

2) I am wondering if you feel she would be ready for a booster, for very rare use. My in-laws bought her a turbobooster for their vehicle, and at first I was very quick to say that she wouldn't be riding in it for a while, but I am starting to doubt my thoughts! I totally trust your opinions on the matter and am wondering if I'm not being a little bit unreasonable? When I say rare use, I mean picking her up from daycare (5 minute drive to and from their house) maybe every couple of months, not on long drives, no highway...

3) Which of these seats perform better/would be a safer choice as a booster? Nautilus, Frontier, Monterey?

thanks so much for your thoughts!
My little girl thanks you too :)
Karine

ADS

featherhead

1. - The Frontier and Nautilus have very much the same top harness height, so they will last about the same as a harnessed seat.
- She could probably be ready for a booster in the next year or two. It depends on maturity, like you said.

2. - 5 years is a good age for booster training - short trips in a booster, making sure that she sits properly the whole time.

3. - Some people don't like the Nautilus as a booster. It doesn't go as high as the Frontier. Of the three, the Frontier goes the highest. But the Nautilus becomes a backless booster as well (I think the Monterey may as well, I'm not totally sure). Right now I'm thinking about the Monterey for my little girl once she's ready for a booster. But she probably won't hit 40 lbs for another 4 years, so I got some time to think about it:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC