Longest RF convertible

Freeride

Great forum!

Our daughter is very tall, almost 30" at 7 months. I was looking for advice to replace her infant car seat:

which convertible seat allows rf the longest (to the tallest height ?)

For the moment we are looking at a britax boulevard or advocate, however I look forward to the replies!

Thanks

ADS

DahliaRW

Height wise the true fit, the radian, and the safety first complete air. The true fit rf's to 35lbs, the other 2 to 40. All 3 are taller and have more rfing leg room than the Britax convertibles.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are plenty of us with Britax seats. They just don't allow RF as long by height or weight as the Complete Air or Radians (or as long by height as the True Fit.) I wouldn't spend money on the Advocate, personally. The Boulevard is okay but my tall, long-torsoed 3 year old has already well outgrown it by height rear- and forward-facing (like, outgrew it last year.) Is your daughter average torso or tall for her age/height?

U

Unregistered

She's tall for her age according to the doctor's charts she is off the scale. This could change as she continues to grow but it would be best to go for the tallest I'm thinking.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's awfully easy to mismeasure a wiggly 7 month old, too. What seat is she in now and where is her head in relation to the top of the seatback?
The Radian and the Boulevard (any large Britax convertible, they all have the same seat shell) have the exact same seatback height (25 inches), but the Radian has more legroom. It's also sometimes impossible to fit it rearfacing into a sedan. I wouldn't call the Britaxes short, just not as tall as some of us would like (my own not-tall kid fit in hers rearfacing till 4.5 http://cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx the Boulevard headwings are so obtrusive though, that they make the seat appear to be outgrown sooner than the Marathon, and it also makes the top harness position shorter, like 16.5 inches versus 17.
If she really is so exceptionally tall, then the Safety First Complete Air would offer the most growing room, the seatback is 27 inches. The First Years True Fit is only a little shorter (still need to measure mine, lol, but here's my 40.5 inch 3.5 yo in it... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5360971949998561442Actually, it looks the same as the Radian... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5356813280476135874but it's a better seat in smaller cars, it sits more upright and allows more front leg room for front passengers.

Madeline410

My almost 4 year old son is RF in a Safety 1st Complete Air right now, with at least 6" above his head!! It's by far the tallest seat we've tried. The Radian won't install RF in my car, so the Complete Air was my only option. He is about 35lbs now, so he's too heavy to RF in any of the seats with the 35lb RF limit, and he's too tall to RF in the Graco My Ride 65 even though it has the 40lb RF limit.
Here are some pics: http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=930968#post930968

I can't install the CA without a noodle though (a foam pool noodle cut to the length of the car seat base). If you're near a Babies R Us, you could go try installing seats in your car to see which one you are most comfortable with.

Mommy0608

I've owned both the True Fit and Complete Air. I measured and got 27" for the interior height of both seats (Complete Air to the top of the headrest in highest position, True Fit to the top of the shell). The True Fit allows use to 1" from the top, while the Complete Air allows use right to the top of the headrest. However, the manual for the Complete Air states a 40" RF limit... many seats have an overall height limit, so it's a parental decision to go by the stated limit OR the physical fit of the child. Many techs go by the physical fit of the child vs. the stated height limit since no two 40" children are the same (some have tall torsos, others don't, etc.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC