can you stretch a seat belt by moving a seat all the way foward

aracari

I just got my 08 Kia Sedona back from the shop today and they adjusted my seats. I had Brody's Frontier installed LBP with a tight install with the seat all the way back. The dealership moved my seat all the way up as far as it would go. I moved the seat back and the portion of the lap belt going down to the car frame looked "not tight" anymore. Could they have stressed the belt by moving the seat all the way forward? Should I just reinstall it and not worry? UGH! Why did they move my seat? I already ponder this car seat stuff too much anyway:rolleyes:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd just reinstall it and not worry too much. I doubt mere humans can stress a belt to a breaking point. If they could we'd have belts breaking left and right during collisions.

My seat got uninstalled once so they could access the gas tank, which is under my backseat. I went back and asked why they did it, and then showed the mechanic how awfully and possibly fatal he'd reinstalled Piper's seat. He seemed to take it well, so I hope he hasn't gone and helped anyone else out by reinstalling (outboard shoulder and lap belt, not locked, no lockoffs used, and tethered in the center).

Wendy

karlatta

I'd just reinstall it and not worry too much. I doubt mere humans can stress a belt to a breaking point. If they could we'd have belts breaking left and right during collisions.

My seat got uninstalled once so they could access the gas tank, which is under my backseat. I went back and asked why they did it, and then showed the mechanic how awfully and possibly fatal he'd reinstalled Piper's seat. He seemed to take it well, so I hope he hasn't gone and helped anyone else out by reinstalling (outboard shoulder and lap belt, not locked, no lockoffs used, and tethered in the center).

Wendy
The one time my seats got uninstalled by the service people, at least they didn't pretend to put them back. They laid them sideways across the seat so that you could tell they were no longer installed. It was a pain to have to reinstall, but I appreciated that they made it obvious so nobody used them incorrectly.

vonfirmath

You leave the seat in the car when going in to get service? I'm afraid of having stuff stolen, so always clear everything out of the car if there's a possibility I'll have to leave the car there! (ie anything more than a oil change)

I guess... if I was going to walk home with the kid or something I'd leave the seat there (wouldn't have a choice) but I have not had to do that yet.

aracari

I was using my mom's car with a decathlon already installed so I just left the Frontier in the van. I am not too worried about theft at the dealership we go to.
I always check to make sure nothing got unbuckled and everything is still tight.

I just wondered if they stressed the belt pushing the seat all the way forward. I know any pre-stretching can affect belt performance in a crash.

southpawboston

i don't understand. which belt got stretched exactly? which seat got moved all the way forward?

the only time i remove the seats from the car are when it's getting detailed. otherwise, there's no service i get done that has anything to do with accessing the back seat.

aracari

southpaw.....the 2nd row seat that the Frontier was attached to got pushed all the way forward. I had asked them to tighten the arm rest on the chair beside it. I guess the mechanic must have sat in the third row to do it and wanted more room.

southpawboston

i don't think it would be possible to stretch the belt by moving the seat forward. however, i think that to move the seat, more of the shoulder portion had to be pulled out of the retractor, and slide across the belt path of the carseat and through the lock-offs. so i would think that after you moved the seat back to its original position, there WOULD be slack in the belt, and it would have to be retightened. but a stretched belt, highly improbable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC