Good seat for a '99 Malibu?

ohiomommy08

My DD is 15 months and is petite - 20 lbs, 29 inches. She is in her SS1 right now and has room for a while. We are thinking that will be our seat in DHs car for a while.

Our main vehicle is a '05 Town and Country with Stow&Go/Captains seats. DH's car is a '99 Malibu with leather seats and an armrest in the middle backseat.

Earlier this week we purchased an EFTA Premiere (DH liked the knobs) for a good price ($130). I got a good install (I think) in the van with latch and seatbelt - just some recline issues I'd have to figure out and the knob release did get a bit buried.

I tried installing it in the Malibu and didn't feel right about what I was doing. I'm confused on the seatbelts and if this seat will even work with them. The middle belt is lap only, but it was really short and I had no leverage to pull it tight at all. The middle spot is hard to get in tight even with the SS because of the arm rest. As far as I can tell the outboard shoulder belts are ELR belts. They don't seem to lock unless I jerk quickly on them and the buckle itself slides freely. If that is the case, the EFTA manual says I can't use that seat RF. I got so spoiled with my SS! That installs like a breeze!

So, I'm still debating on what to do. I didn't fall in love with the EFTA, although it's a nice seat. I can get a marathon for $179 or a truefit premiere for about $220. I've also thought about a Radian XT.

This will be her main seat for many years and will almost always be in the van. At some point, though it may need to be used in the car and I need to feel confident that I can get a good install.

Would it make sense to get one of the seats with built in lockoffs? Britax, True Fit - any others? Would that help with the problem in the malibu?

Does anyone have experience installing any of these seats in an '05 T&C or a '99 Malibu? Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome!!

Maybe I'll try to sneak out to Buy, Buy Baby tonight or tomorrow;) I haven't been there in a while - maybe I can try out some seats!

Thanks!

Laurie

ADS

featherhead

I'm guessing your Malibu probably has locking latchplates. I have an EFTA in my '03 Malibu and it works great. I have it outboard drivers side right now. I know what you mean about the center position. My car doesn't have the fold down armrest, but the lap belt did seem kinda short for the EFTA.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I use the lap belt for car seats all the time in my 2002 Malibu, which is the same body as the 1999. When to tighten, tighten from the latch plate side, by pulling the cover back and pulling the tail through. Works great!

ohiomommy08

Thanks for the replies.

How do I tell if I have locking latch plates? They just seem to move freely. Are the belts ELR? Do I need to use a locking clip? Are seats with builtin lockoffs going to be easier to install?

We use the lap belt for the SS1 and it works great! I just seemed REALLY short on the EFTA. The extra belt part didn't even reach into the belt path - it was just a few inches from the buckle. I'll try it again if I get a nice cool evening!

Any other thoughts? Is it worth spending a bit more money to get a TrueFit Premiere or a Marathon or Blvd?

Thanks!

Laurie

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You DO have locking latch plates.

Can you post pics of you attempted install? Are you using the rear facing belt path? The one UNDER the baby's legs? By the knobs? It should reach, no problem.

Nennib

"I got a good install (I think) in the van with latch and seatbelt"

Just wasn't sure what you meant by this - you are not using both LATCH and seat belt at the same time, are you?

I had a '97 Malibu, same body, didn't change till a few years later. I installed rear facing in the centre without problem. And also outboard. But I had difficulty locking the seatbelt so I always used a locking clip.

featherhead

I use the lap belt for car seats all the time in my 2002 Malibu, which is the same body as the 1999. When to tighten, tighten from the latch plate side, by pulling the cover back and pulling the tail through. Works great!

With the EFTA you have to loosen the belt all the way and then it is difficult to tighten because there is almost no slack and you have such a little tail to pull on. The tail for sure would not reach all the way back to the belt path. I suppose if you unbuckle, tighten and try to rebuckle that might work. I know I got it in my Malibu, I just couldn't tighten as much as I would have liked.

ohiomommy08

With the EFTA you have to loosen the belt all the way and then it is difficult to tighten because there is almost no slack and you have such a little tail to pull on. The tail for sure would not reach all the way back to the belt path. I suppose if you unbuckle, tighten and try to rebuckle that might work. I know I got it in my Malibu, I just couldn't tighten as much as I would have liked.

That is exactly the problem - it just seems too short. I'll try it again and take pictures, and then I have to figure out how to post them - any tips?

As for the install in the van - I didn't write that very clearly!! I did two separate installs - one with latch, and one with the seat belt. Both were good, but the seatbelt seemed tighter.

So, if I have locking latch plate does that mean I don't have ELR seatbelts or is that a different thing? I'm so confused on the seatbelt thing!! Either way, I guess my main question is will it be easier with built in lockoffs? Or do I need to use a locking clip? OK, I reread the Triumph manual and it said it' couldn't be used with a lapbelt ELR. I know I have a locking latch plate there. I was thinking my shoulder belts are ELR, but I guess that's OK - that's when I need to use a locking clip, I think or lockoffs. I think its making more sense!

Thanks for all of your time and input! It is much appreciated!

Laurie

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I have n 05 Malibu Maxx w/ 3 lap soulder belts. All my belts are switchable retractors. Do you have the vehicle manual? There is a section in there about how to install a child restraint. That's the first place to go.

Susan

featherhead

With locking latchplates you do NOT need to use a locking clip. You just buckle the seat in, pull out all the slack from the lap belt, and you're done. Very easy:) Locking clips are for when the seatbelt does not lock at all (not at the retractor or the latchplate).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sorry to disagree. If you detach the cover on the latchplate side, you hand is IN the belt path. I have done this. In class today, but could take pics tomorrow ar work, if needed.

featherhead

Sorry to disagree. If you detach the cover on the latchplate side, you hand is IN the belt path. I have done this. In class today, but could take pics tomorrow ar work, if needed.

Oh, I know what you mean. I'm just saying the tail of the belt is so short. It's really hard to get enough leverage on it, even if you are pulling with your hand through the belt path. I think I maybe had 4-5 inches of tail on the belt when I had tightened as much as I could.

ohiomommy08

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate the help. Here's my update.

I actually found a Marathon on clearance at Target and when I tried that in the Malibu it was a GREAT install!! The lap belt had plenty of length to tighten and I finally realize how my locking latch plates work on the shoulder belts - it took me a while to understand that! Duh!

I got a rock solid install in the middle and outboard. I might have to play with the recline, but she's already 15 months old, so it might even be fine as it is. I'll have to figure out a Rear tether spot also.

So, the EFTA will be going back to BRU and Taylor has a beautiful new seat!!

Thanks!

Laurie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC