Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Britax Question- Rear Facing or not???

I just started using my Britax Marathon for my 14 month old (26lbs, 33"), and I have so far had her rear facing (we still use the Graco SafeSeat in the other car, so don't want to get her used to facing forward).

Here is my question: I have heard that it is recommended to keep them rear facing until age 2 now...and I planned to do this, yet on the side of my Britax it clearly states that "rear facing is for infants under 20lbs only. Which am I supposed to listen to??? Am I endangering her in the seat by keeping her rear facing?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Megan

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Britax Question- Rear Facing or not???

That's bad wording that you find on every seat. It means that under 20 pounds you can ONLY use it rear facing. 20-35 pounds is optional rear facing (and yes, highly encouraged to two years old, and in fact well beyond if your daughter fits by height and weight).

You'd be doing her a huge disservice by forward facing her now. To the tune of 500% more likely to be injured or killed in a collision. And yet all of the seats have that wonky wording that I have to wonder if it causes too many premature forward facers.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    That's bad wording that you find on every seat. It means that under 20 pounds you can ONLY use it rear facing. 20-35 pounds is optional rear facing (and yes, highly encouraged to two years old, and in fact well beyond if your daughter fits by height and weight).

You'd be doing her a huge disservice by forward facing her now. To the tune of 500% more likely to be injured or killed in a collision. And yet all of the seats have that wonky wording that I have to wonder if it causes too many premature forward facers.

Wendy
    Thank you for the info Wendy! So, she can stay rear facing up to 35 pounds, but is there a maximum height limit on rear facing? Or is it just as long as she is comfortable with her cramped leg space? Obviously I'd rather her break a leg in an accident than have spinal/head injuries, so her safety comes before comfort, but she will eventually get TOO long to be rear facing- is there an average height people call it quits at?

Thanks again!

-Megan

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches 1 inch from the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs. I don't believe leg comfort will be an issue IMO. Here is a pic of my dd rearfacing (her last day) at 34lbs

Does she look uncomfortable?
    Last edited by myliljunebugs; 07-29-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: I was wrong :)

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
    Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs. I don't believe leg comfort will be an issue IMO. Here is a pic of my dd rearfacing (her last day) at 34lbs

Does she look uncomfortable?

Britax convertibles are outgrown when the child hits the weight limit or there is less than 1 inch of shell above the top of the head. They don't allow the head to be at the top of the shell.
    Last edited by tanyaandallie; 07-29-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
    Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs.
    There needs to be at least an inch of shell over the head. So you'd stop using it rear-facing when there's less than an inch of shell, or when the RF weight limit is met (35 lbs for a Marathon, unless it's an older model, which might be 33).

Oh gosh I'm sorry I'll edit, could you please remove the pics from your quote? Later on down the road I will end up moving pics around so they don't float around indefinitely and it won't work if you quote them. Thanks!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

For the record, I think Britax USED to allow the head to be even with the shell. Or was that someone else?

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    For the record, I think Britax USED to allow the head to be even with the shell. Or was that someone else?
    Yes, I know Britax did. Not sure who else - perhaps the older Fisher Price seats.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Okay, maybe that is where I got it from. DD used to have Britax convertibles and I had it in my head that she could go to the shell. Sorry about that

CPS Technician

I thought that it was only on the older model Roundabouts that they used to allow even, never the Marathon.
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

CPST Instructor

The first bullet statement on the Warning label on Britax convertibles is a mandated statement per FMVSS 213. Its intended meaning is as stated previously - a child less than 20 lbs. must be rear-facing - cannot go forward -facing.

The second bullet in the second sentence defines the minimum and maximum capacities both rear and forward-facing.

Thanks-

Sarah
    Britax