short-term booster

kam

My daughter is 4.5 years old, weighs 43 pounds, and is 43 inches tall. She currently rides in a Young Sport in booster mode, but is mature enough for a backless booster, I think. We are flying to her grandparents' house, and they will have a booster ready for her there. She'll be riding in either a Corolla or an Outback, and only for a vacation once or twice a year. The question is: which booster is the best balance of affordability and safety in this situation? Thanks for any input!
warmly,
Kam

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd get a graco turbobooster with a high back. Maturity or not, a low back booster does not provide any side impact protection, nor does her overall height guarantee that her torso will be long enough to not need the adjustment of the belt guides.

Out of curiosity, why not just get her a harnessed seat? It's much safer and at her size and age she fits in a lot of them. Unless she has a remarkably long torso she'd fit well into an Apex 65, which is a very budget friendly high weight harness (65 pounds) that is great for a grandparent's car. It converts to a booster after 65 pounds to 100 pounds. It requires high headrests behind it, but it's a great seat for the dollar. You can usually get it for about $100 (the Turbobooster is about $60).

Wendy

scatterbunny

This child IS already used to a booster (Young Sport in booster mode, for 3 pounds already), so I'd be fine with using a booster on the trip...but I'd also want a highback, for the side impact protection. A Turbo is great for traveling because it can come apart to pack flat.

abacus2

It's more expensive, but it provides a lot more safety than a low back booster while using about the same amount of space: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Hybrid-Convertible-Booster/dp/B002UP391K"]the SafeGuard GO[/ame] ([ame="http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/why.htm"]more seat details[/ame]). This seat is a folding harnessed seat that comes with its own carrying bag and uses the tether anchor for its harness system. In the event a tether anchor isn't available or when your child gets too tall for the harnessed mode, it can be used as a low back booster. The harness is usable 30-60#, up to ~17" torso height (bottom to shoulders seated).

If this is a booster to stay with and only be used at the grandparents' house rather than something you'll fly with, the Compass folding high back booster might be a good choice as a folded booster is easier to store.

A High Back Turbo booster could also work well (at my local Target they're $50). If you fly with it, store the back in your luggage and carry on the low back portion so you won't be without a seat if something happens to your luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:

kam

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The Safeguard Go is interesting, but it doesn't seem to have any SIP (unless it's in the head wings). I wonder whether the safety of the 5pt harness balances that deficit. :confused:

I am surprised no one has mentioned a Parkway, which is what I have been leaning toward. I have read that it is more comfortable for average-width kids, and safer than a Turbo, for just $30 or so more. Hmmm. I guess I need to look into the Compass/Parkway/Turbo comparisons in more detail.

There will be other grandchildren who may use this seat in the next few years, so it will be staying with grandparents. It would be wisest to invest in a seat that can be used over a wide range of sizes and ages, but I think we're limited to $100 or so this time. And availability is becoming an issue as the trip nears!

TIA!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think www.albeebaby.com has the Apex for $99, that would offer the most flexibility for use with other children.
I think most of us love the Parkway, but were trying to save you a few bucks by offering up the Turbo, lol (the parkway is much taller, will last much longer, and is SO easy to use, it's what I'd go with if I were getting a seat for grandma's, too!)

:)

scatterbunny

I only recommended the Turbo because

a) you're traveling with it, or so I thought, and the Turbo comes apart so it's easier to tavel with than a Parkway

b) most people who want travel seats aren't looking to spend a lot of money

But since you really were leaning towards a Parkway anyway, I'd encourage you to get that! I think it's a better booster than the Turbo (we've had both).

Like Julie said though, depending on the ages and sizes of the other kids that will be using the seat at the grandparents' house, the Apex might offer more flexibility? Grandparents' vehicle must have headrests, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC