Okay, so THIS is a 5-pt harness...

drjanetm

....that can be used with a booster seat:

H-harness

It attaches to the tether anchor at the back, then comes down over the child's shoulders, and the belt (using a clip to convert it into a lap-only belt) goes through the bottom.

What do you think the legalities of using something like this would be in the USA?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, it's a 4 point, really (no fith point for a crotch strap, to help the lapbelt stay low), and you might as well use one of the products that's legally sold here, like www.ezonpro.com or the Ride Safer Travel Vest. :)

drjanetm

So would there be any issues using a US-made one with a booster seat (insurance-wise)?

(And yes, I was actually thinking of another H-harness when I called it a 5-point harness - they make one that has a crotch clip as well....the one i linked wasn't it)

Splash

No issues at all if you use the EZ on one with THEIR booster. You can't just use it with any booster of your choice though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Ridesafer can be used with any booster (I believe, best to contact them to be sure) and the EZ on, yeah, you have to use THEIR booster (another booster they tried failed testing).

Splash

HUH? Ridesafer makes a harness as well, not just the vest? Or are you saying you can use the vest WITH a booster? What would be the point of that?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nah, it's not a harness, just the vest, but yeah, it can be used with a booster now... I honestly have no idea why... maybe so kids can see out the window better? I suppose it's a good solution for a houdini kid... put them in a ridesafer and a recaro start? Even if the seatbelt fails, the kiddo will also be entangled in it, to some extent, and top tethered, so they are less likely to be ejected, anyway (I'm thinking worst case scenario, here, lol).

lovinwaves

Safe 'N Sound is made by Britax. It is their division of carseats in Australia. I have a Safe N Sounds Discovery Plus Carseat that came from Australia. I'm sure their laws are different there.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My mom and I were talking about this last week. I had one of these when I was little. I didn't hit 40 pounds until I was 6, so I sat in a low back booster with one of these harnesses (lap belt only in the back). It was a 1976 Ford something and I was in a booster to 40 pounds, six years old, and this harness was attached to a tether anchor my parents had retrofitted in the car. Our carseat that my brother and I used (I think it was a Kolcraft, though I haven't seen a definite one in the pictoral guides) was also tethered. And in 1977 my mom even RFed me as she could.

So at least in 1981-1983 or so when I was using this it was perfectly legal. :)

Wendy

debsten

Hi,

I actually have one of these, my DD uses it when we travel to Australia, I believe it has to be used with a booster seat but not 100% sure, it was something I was going to ask the tech I get the seats from next time we are there as my mums new car is much smaller so if DD (6.5) could sit in the middle with this without a booster would free up some room in the car. Australia has had mandatory top tethers for years now, I remember back 20 years ago a family friend having to get them installed in an older car to be able to get a car seat in them. The H Harness has to be top tethered and you use a locking clip which can stay on once fitted when using a lap/shoulder belt to keep the shoulder portion out the way.

I always check out the seats when I am there, when my DD was first born they seemed way ahead but now there seems to be a lot more available here and the prices there are very $$$, well pretty much any baby stuff there is more expensive than here :).

Dillipop

My mom and I were talking about this last week. I had one of these when I was little. I didn't hit 40 pounds until I was 6, so I sat in a low back booster with one of these harnesses (lap belt only in the back). It was a 1976 Ford something and I was in a booster to 40 pounds, six years old, and this harness was attached to a tether anchor my parents had retrofitted in the car. Our carseat that my brother and I used (I think it was a Kolcraft, though I haven't seen a definite one in the pictoral guides) was also tethered. And in 1977 my mom even RFed me as she could.

So at least in 1981-1983 or so when I was using this it was perfectly legal. :)

Wendy

My mom had me and my sister in booster seats like this as well. I will have to look through pictures to see if she has any pictures of us in them. I don't know how long she kept us in them, though. This would have been early 80's, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC