Seat Belts with Belt positioning boosters

U

Unregistered

Hi there-

I was just reading reviews on the Graco Turbo Booster and I have a question for you. Several of the reviews said that to avoid the seat slipping on the vehicle seat (leather seats) that you should lock the seat belt. Put your child in the seat, pull the seat belt until it locks, fasten it and then tighten it onto your child. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Laura

ADS

Maedze

Hi Laura,

While seat belts generally don't have to be locked with boosters,that would definitely be one way to keep the seat from slipping, if you are indeed having that problem. Another way would be to place a thin bathtowel on the seat.

How old is the child for whom you are considering the Turbobooster and how much does s/he weigh?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That wouldn't be my first reason for locking the belt, but it's a decent idea. I agree with Maedze, though. I'd put a thin towel under it, or get a different seat if slippage is a big concern.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the response. My daughter is 6 years old, 46 inches and 44 pounds. I was getting her a turbo booster for my husbands car (She rides in a Nautilus in my car; the primary vehicle) and I was trying to figure out why there was such a price difference at different stores and starting reading reviews.

I don't have the turbo booster yet so slipping is not an issue for me. I had just never heard of locking the seat bealt while the child was in the belt positioning seat; I did not know if it was something that I should be doing or not. Would you only do that if you are having the slipping issue? Is it safe to just use the seat belt without it being locked into place? The reviews also said to lock the seatbelt into place if your child slumps forward while sleeping. I just want to make sure I am using belt positioning boosters correctly.

Thanks,
Laura

Maedze

Hi Laura,

The Turbobooster is completely appropriate for your daughter's age, weight, and height, and I think you'll find it's a nice little booster.

The range of prices has to do with the covers (fancier covers are usually a bit more, and older covers are clearanced to make room for new covers) and the level of padding (they come bare bones to covered in Gracopedic foam), but from a safety perspective they're all identical.

The seatbelt in a booster works the same way it does as an adult; free sliding unless there is an impact or a hard turn/jolt, and it locks in place.

Because of this, it's very important for children to learn that they MUST remain in position in a booster. If they lean forward or are out of position, the belt will lock how it lies, which will do nothing to protect them in an accident.

Sometimes when kids are first learning how to ride in boosters we recommend locking the belt for a few rides, to get them gradually used to their new freedom. Locking the belt is also a handy trick for kids who slump when sleeping (I actually lock the belt on myself when I doze off in the car!)

The booster comes with two screws in a little plastic bag that MUST be put into the armrests before use...no exceptions, so don't forget!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC