my first curbside rescue: RIP Century Prestige

Irishmama

So I was driving home and saw this seat in the trash. Couldn't help myself, brought it home to let dh and the kids destroy. Now dh admits car seats can be fun :D The DOM on it is January 1995, and the funk it was growing, oh my. Just had to share the pics of it.

Does this make me a car seat nerd?

Last edited:
ADS

Irishmama

It looked to me like a seat protector for the car's upholstery. It's thin rubbery material and says Century on it.

We had fun destroying it, sawed it in half from top to bottom and cut out where the crotch buckle attaches, cut the OHS part in half, and cut all the straps. Then we let the kids take hammers to it. Poor seat.

Last edited:
What and you didn't call me to have fun too? :p

Hey, M's city wide garage sale is this weekend :whistle: I am sure tons will be there.

My town's was last weekend and I saw TONS AND TONS of seats, especially by the richer homes in the highlands ;-)

Irishmama

Sorry I barely had it out of the van and dh had the saw out, lol. The kids had so much fun hitting it with hammers too.

Maybe we could get magnets made for the side of our van's "Car Seat Rescue" and go around and rescue (and then destroy) all the expired seats, lol. I think we'd need capes for that though. ;)

I'm always hesitant to tell people that they shouldn't be selling expired seats, I hate confrontation. I'm afraid they'll get mad I'm being nosy, ya know?

April

:eek: OMG, I swear to you, that is the EXACT seat that DH had Rayn in when we got together. (A mere couple of years ago!)

Irishmama

:eek: OMG, I swear to you, that is the EXACT seat that DH had Rayn in when we got together. (A mere couple of years ago!)

That's scary :eek:

I want to see the carseat murder pics! lol

I didn't get pics during the actual dismantling, I was keeping dd2 out of the path of destruction, lol. But I can get pics of the pieces; tomorrow should be good weather. It dawned on me I should get pics of the rf belt path, it's like a baby bucket seat, with slots on either side and the belt routing over baby's legs on top of the seat. It was interesting!

heyruthie

reminds me of what i encountered ealier this week in an audiologist's office (I guess they use it if they need to strap a kid into a seat for some reason.) she assured me it was not for motor vehicle use! (but at least it's a 5-pt. harness. It was probably innovative at the time!)

2009maydownload029.jpg

2009maydownload031.jpg

Check out this thing! I don't think I like to imagine what this could do to a child's crotch in an accident!

2009maydownload030.jpg

HA! Love the magnet idea. LOL! Capes! We can borrow my son's capes.
Oh my it would be so funny!
I did see my neighbor the other day throw out a britax seat. It was so nasty and had stuff growing on it. UGGH!! Luckily, when I walked by I saw there was no straps. The weird thing is it went missing the next day.
I could totally see someone using it as a booster(even though it looked like a very old marathon maybe?)

Irishmama

I tried to add the moldy pics but it won't let me add pics without deleting the first three pics. How do I do that? :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmm, I'm not sure what the max. is for attaching pictures but it seems like you must have reached it. :) You could try putting the remaining pictures up on an online photo hosting site like photobucket.com and then posting the photo links here. :twocents:

Irishmama

Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. I've never seen that before, but then I'm new to this whole car seat obsession thing.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just have to remove the previous pics, or at least one or two of them and post the after pics.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
reminds me of what i encountered ealier this week in an audiologist's office (I guess they use it if they need to strap a kid into a seat for some reason.) she assured me it was not for motor vehicle use! (but at least it's a 5-pt. harness. It was probably innovative at the time!)

Check out this thing! I don't think I like to imagine what this could do to a child's crotch in an accident!
]

It's softer than a polyester crotch strap (so, padding for the pulled-to-a-rock-hard-tautness-strap in a crash), though, and made it much easier to buckle :whistle: I wish we could have those things back :love:

Consumer Reports LOVED that seat, just LOVED it, even when it was the last one to go to RF 22 pounds, and the seatbelt went over the lap when RF. It was cheap, so it was good, I guess :p

heyruthie

It's softer than a polyester crotch strap (so, padding for the pulled-to-a-rock-hard-tautness-strap in a crash), though, and made it much easier to buckle :whistle: I wish we could have those things back :love:

Consumer Reports LOVED that seat, just LOVED it, even when it was the last one to go to RF 22 pounds, and the seatbelt went over the lap when RF. It was cheap, so it was good, I guess :p

that's hilarious! it just goes to show how much i know about crash dynamics! i agree that the buckle must be WAY easy to access that way!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
that's hilarious! it just goes to show how much i know about crash dynamics! i agree that the buckle must be WAY easy to access that way!

I know! I bet tons of parents rush to boosters because they can't stand digging crotch straps out from under big kids' bums... Graco bought Century, so if it's patented at least THEY could use it again :twocents::p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC