Stroller for my gigantic 3.5 year old? (46+ pounds and tall.)

monstah

I have a P&T's sport double right now. See siggy for stats and keep in mind that DS is less than 1" from outgrowing the Nautilus harness.

When my DH is with me I would like a stroller that one of us can push DS in. Then the baby and DD can share the P&T's.

When I am by myself, I will have to wear the baby and / or have DS walk, but that makes me nervous because DS likes to run away if he sees something shiny. :rolleyes:

I was thinking Maclaren but I'm not familiar with the different models. Anything else I should consider? I'm open to suggestions.

It obviously needs to be super easy to steer, considering DS's weight. Most other features (lightweight, compact fold) would be great, but being easy to steer is my #1 priority.

I hope not to spend more than $150ish.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For your son's twin (my DS, lol ;)) I have a Maclaren Volo. His head is above the seat back, but not enough that it falls backwards if he falls asleep. It steers pretty good considering his weight, but it's far from a feather touch. :p We also have a Dreamer Design Manhattan Lite, but it's a big, bulky, jogging-type stroller. It fits him much better and is easier to push, but we rarely take it in the car because of its size. It's our around the neighbourhood stroller.

I wanted to, and probably should have got, the Maclaren XLR. It's still an umbrella fold, but much bigger than the Volo and could take an infant seat for future children.

HTH! :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

I have a valco RAD that I put dd in if I push her alone (while dh pushes the other 2). The seat is HUGE! Yet, I could still put my 6 month old in it (even younger). You are probably looking for something with at least 19 inch seat backs (should still keep the head contained enough) but not sure what you are exactly looking for. Maybe a silver cross pop? I think that has taller seat backs, and the dazzle does also.

lovinwaves

Quinny Zapp. Quite possibly the easiest steering stroller on the planet. Puts any other stroller to shame. HUGE wide seat, tall seatback. It's not exactly lightweither, but it does fold up 1 foot by 2 feet. :)

HEVY

I bought a volo, goes up to 55lbs I believe. I use it for DD in the malls cause she is an explorer/disobeyer :rolleyes:

rochelle

lovinwaves,

"Pushchair seat: until 15 kg" got this fr Qunny USA website. eventhough I think it can take up to 50lbs.

1kg approx = 2.2lbs (grew up in metric system)

http://www.quinny.com/quinny/content.aspx?contentcode=specs&id=29

was tempted to get this stroller x 2 for airport use after trying it out at TRU. no problem with my 35lb/16kg DS2 but DS1 refuse to try.

wish manufacturers are more correct with the specs on their website as its really confusing.

CaseyRN

Totally butting in her with no experience really with different strollers. But has anyone called any of the manufacturer's about the kg/lb discrepancies? Just wondering what their stance is.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hmm, actually, the official limit of the rad is 45 pounds (or 44 pounds). but it can push all of that weight, and then some, even with the seat reversed. I know, my dd is over 40 pounds and I keep the seat rear facing. I just used it for her on a long walk down a trail, rf. Plus, if you look hard enough, there is a jogging wheel available oversees, that you could come across here in the states.
Just saying......
For once in a while use, it should be fine. IF you really want a stroller with a stated higher limit...try a true jogger like the bob sus/ironman, or a baby jogger performance series. They should have a 75 pound weight limit.

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, here is the thing. A lot of the european companies have never upped their weight limits here in the US. As far as I know, most companies do not test their strollers, etc for more than 33 pounds in the UK, which is 15 kg. They just don't do it. Look at the pegs over in Europe, and they will only have a limit of 15 kg. Even the bjcmd here has a limit of 100 lbs, but if you look at the fine print, it is only supposed to be 33 lbs per seat.

rochelle

Jennifer mom to my 7,

just a vent.

graco duoglider - v difficult to push on sidewalk when < 70lbs loaded. empty basket (suppose to take 40lbs per seat - 80lbs)

maclaren techno xt - difficult at 33lbs, empty basket

instep double jogger - seat tear at the side DS1 sits on when he was < 40lbs. suppose to be 50lbs per seat. (< 2yrs old)

thats why DH won't buy any stroller/jogger that my boys had not taken for a "test-drive" just to make sure it is easy to push. we take the stated weight limit with a pinch of salt.

thats why I am eyeing a baby jogger performance double on craigslist due to the 150lbs limit which I would have grab if not for the fixed front wheel.

HEVY

We should find out the weight limits, my DD is 50lbs and almost 4 feet I don't have a problem pushing her and there is no stress on the stroller.

rochelle

HEVY,

dont think the manufacturers would know for sure what is the weight limit, as the difficulty of pushing the stroller also depends on road conditions.

my strollers are mainly used on rough sidewalks, sandy paths and gravel paths. I used to walk 2-4 miles everyday around my neighbourhood stores as my boys refuse to stay at home. so I am not surprised that my strollers are all not in good condition. had change the tubing for my jogger tires too and inflate the tires v often.

my boys are explorers too when they are not sleepers.

I just take the weight limit as when I have difficulty pushing the stroller on the sidewalk with a empty stroller basket :)

btw, my BIL has the maclaren volo (great for hot weather) and it was a little difficult pushing my > 40lb nephew on the sidewalk but easy in the malls. the maclarens are great airport strollers :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
has anyone called any of the manufacturer's about the kg/lb discrepancies?

I did contact Maclaren about the discrepancy before I bought mine (because the Canadian stat for the Volo is also 33lbs.) This was their response:

Thank you for your message and your interest in Maclaren strollers. With regards to your question, as per Maclaren, the testing standards and methods are different. Based on ASTM, the recommended maximum weight is 25 kg. However, it does not mean that a 25 kg baby cannot use the BS/UK tested stroller as the construction and quality are the same. For additional information, please contact Maclaren directly at 1-877-442-4622.

monstah

Great replies! :thumbsup:

The stroller will mostly be used from parking lot to mall & back with the occasional zoo trip (pavement). No grass or jogging.

How do you think the Zapp wheels will hold up on pavement with an almost 50 pound kid in the seat?

The Rad is way too expensive. So the fight is on between the $119 Zapp and a Maclaren. I think my BRU has both so I can go try them out tomorrow.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is from the Maclaren website

How long can I use my Maclaren Buggy? Until what age and/or weight?
Maclaren buggys are designed and tested to hold up to a 15 kg/33 lbs (55 lbs US) child; the twins are tested to hold up to 15 kg/33 lbs (55 lbs US) each side. Most children determine at what age they no longer want to be in a buggy. Some children want to walk when they’re two, others when they’re five. We suggest you let your child guide the usage of your buggy.

http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/content/view/280/88889563/lang,en/#3

I am guessing the discrepancy is due to regulations in each country and standards.

I push my 55# 9 yr easily in my Volo which is 4 yrs old....silicone spray on the wheels works quite well. Not often of course just at Disney when she is tired.

HTH Jodi (married and mother to Red Sox fans as well)

AND ebay macs are $70

Last edited:

rochelle

unityco, mom2acrew,

thanks for the clarification on the maclaren weight limits. makes those maclaren twin strollers currently on craiglist v attractive as airport strollers as DS1 is unlikely to hit 55lbs anytime soon, DS2 is only 35lbs.

mom2acrew,

looks like I need to buy the silicone spray. my seldom used 1.5yr old cosco lightweight strollers wheels are pretty hard to push already.

lovingwaves,

wish the manufacturers would just say its 55lbs for their US models. lessen the confusion. like the zapp except that it has no basket. otherwise its lovely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC