booster recommendations for 15 passenger van

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
My son's school asked me for recommendations on high back boosters for use in the 15 passenger vans. I send my son in a parkway, and a few other parents send low back boosters. Many parents send in nothing at all. The school has several low back boosters they keep on hand for kids who come with nothing. The teacher wants to order some hbb with a grant. I was thinking that the graco turbobooster and the compass b510 might be good recommendations. Any others? Thank you. :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Turbos would be good. Compass boosters are really hit and miss on positioning. Are these mostly for older or younger kids? Maybe a few taller ones for taller kids? I'm assuming the van doesn't have headrests? If so, really none of those kids should be in backless, they should all be in HBB, right? So... The issue is how many can fit in a van, that fit kids well. Hmm. Do they usually use it full, or do they transport with it only partly filled? Will there be a lot of 3-across or not?

Of course in most 15 pass. vans the seatbelt will be coming from way below the belt guides for many of the kids. But I think it's kind of a lesser-of-the-evils situation...

Maedze

A 15 passenger van likely has no head rests. The Graco Turbobooster fits most kids well. The Compass...I wouldn't bother, most kids DON'T get a good belt fit with it.

How many positions are lap belt only?

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
There are 4 lap-belt only positions. I already gave the school info. on ez vests. We had a discussion on this at the beginning of the school year. They use 1 full van, and a teachers mini van for school trips (small private school with 15 kids in the 1st/2nd grade class). It doesn't have head rests, however, most of the kids (all?) are under the seat back. The seats are tall.

Thanks for the info. on the compass. That is what I thought - it was hit or miss. The nice thing about it would be it's foldability for storage. THe turbobooster is a good seat, and budget friendly. I'd like to give them another option too (going to recommend they at least get 1 or 2 of a different seat in-case one kid doesn't fit 1 seat). How about the Vivo?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes, Turboboosters or Recaro Vivo's would be my recommendation, the Vivos are pretty cheap right now, but are probably also 2 years old.

Maedze

The Vivos also don't break apart for storage the way a TB does.

I have never seen a child who otherwise fit in the TB fit poorly. :shrug: I wouldn't worry about buying them exclusively. The only rub you're going to have is with really BIG kids...but I doubt the school is going to want to buy Montereys, and backlesses aren't an option.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What age/grade are these kids? In my area such vans are only used for the Early Start kids (younger than Head Start) & while it's a miracle when they have unexpired highback boosters as opposed to Gerry shields :eek: I've still never seen a kid properly restrained (because such kids barely fit the minimum size requirement or age minimum, let alone the necessary maturity level). I've helped such programs get Graco Cargos because then toddlers/preschoolers are still harnessed (an incorrectly used harness is still generally better than an incorrectly used booster).

April

Do 8 year olds fit in high back turbos? Cause my 7 year old doesn't... Just curious.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC